Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

SHIRI - Columbia releases an outsanding version on DVD in R1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-08-02, 05:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R1 SHIRI, out this week, is vastly superior to both the Korean and Hong Kong release. The HD transfer, downcoverted for this DVD, is superb, with color and shadow detail that accurately reflects the look of the film (I saw this in a theater just two months ago).

Everything about this transfer bests the other versions. And Columbia's encoding allows us to view the film with an almost complete absence of artifacting. The Asian DVD's, while very good on small screens, showed serious artifacting and combing errors on large screens. This isn't a Superbit, but it's still outstanding. Especially when you consider how low the budget on this film was (less than 4 million).

The feature has 28 chapter stops.

The 5.1 Korean soundtrack is here and is every bit as good as the Korean DTS release. The subtitles are not just a dubbed transcript, but instead taken from the director approved translation. An English 5.1 version is provided, but it is maddingly awful and must be avoided at all costs. A French soundtrack is also included, but I think it's 2.0 (I did not check). Subtitles in French Spanish and Portuguese are included.

Extras include a pathetic non-anamorphic trailer that reveals all the secrets of the film in the first 20 seconds. Avoid. Trailers for CRIMSON RIVERS (awesome film & DVD) and The Tailer of Panama are available.

There is an English subtitled making of that is more than the usual male featurette. It's every bit as informative as the un-subtitled Korean making off. A yawn inducing music video is the last extra.

Numerous screen caps at this link
Old 04-08-02, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering...

SHIRI is a graphically violent picture, so I am confident this film was hacked to get the R. The MPAA would never allow this film to go through as is with an R in today's climate of cut, cut, cut to protect the children, who should never be allowed to see R rated films in the first place!
If it passed uncut, I will glady eat my shorts and Kiss Jack V's ancient ass.
...how did that work out for you?
Old 04-09-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts
so should I listen to the Englilsh dub or go with the subtitles????

Hurry, I want to watch this as soon as possible!
Old 04-09-02, 01:55 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by d2cheer
so should I listen to the Englilsh dub or go with the subtitles????

Hurry, I want to watch this as soon as possible!
Based on this:
Originally posted by Matt Stevens
The subtitles are not just a dubbed transcript, but instead taken from the director approved translation. An English 5.1 version is provided, but it is maddingly awful and must be avoided at all costs.
I'd say go with the subtitles.

But as a general rule, you should use subtitles for any film you don't understand the spoken language for.

-David
Old 04-09-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts
Must have skipped right over that part...