DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Shackleton

Old 04-08-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review wanted: Shackleton

Considering the $50 MSRP on this title, what do you guys and gals think? A renter or a keeper?
Old 04-11-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone?
Old 04-11-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3663
Old 04-11-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3663
Thanks for the review. Although I felt it was a good review, it seemed a little "cold" (no pun intended) or too objective. Anyone else want to share their feelings about Sheckleton?
Old 04-12-02, 02:40 AM

IMO, a renter

I very much wanted “Shackleton” to be a keeper, but unfortunately, in my opinion, it’s a renter. Even at three hours, it’s a rushed telling and is really just a general overview of the complete story. Kenneth Branagh did a great job as did the rest of the cast, and if an overview is ok with you, then certainly it’s worth having around.

But, if you’ve read “Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage,” by Alfred Lansing, or “The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition,” by Caroline Alexander and Frank Hurley (Photographer), then you just can’t help but be disappointed w/ this movie.

Each of the 28 men kept detailed dairies and in their words are the incredible details that make this story simply amazing. I highly recommend that you read one or both of these books. I stumbled across Alexander’s book sitting on a friend’s coffee table. I picked it up and couldn’t put it down again until I was done - stopping occasionally to read various passages to whomever would listen - just so I could share my amazement. Lansing's is equally good.

This movie just leaves out too much. A story of this magnitude needs its details intact to retain its jaw-dropping power ... I'm thinking a Masterpiece Theatre treatment would give it room to breath, maybe five two-hour episodes. Luckily we have the books and Hurley’s spectacular photos.

I’m hoping to see NOVA’s special on the subject that aired in March, “Shackleton's Voyage of Endurance,” and also the movie narrated by Liam Neesen now in limited release, “The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition.”

-tom

Last edited by gvmelbrty; 04-12-02 at 02:57 AM.