Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Grrr... (DirectTV)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Grrr... (DirectTV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grrr... (DirectTV)

So I had a $31.99 package (Para Todos, Opción Extra Especial), plus I paid an extra $1.08 for the PBS national feed.

There was a flier in my last bill about a new package, Opción Ultra Especial, which cost $34.99 / month, but included PBS national feed (per the advertisement). So I upgraded and everything was fine for three or four days, then no more PBS. I called and the guy said "Oh, that would be a la carte, $1.08 / month". I said that it was listed as being as part of the package, and was even on the web site as being a channel in the package (here is the list of channels which includes PBS national feed:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...ice_PlusPT.jsp ).

He checked, then came back and said that the flier and web site were wrong, and that he was leaving a note for the computer people to correct the web site.

I'm not pissed, just irked. I can downgrade back to my old package for free so I'm not out any money, but at the same time my new package isn't as good of a deal as I thought it would be, and all of the advertising still says that I should have PBS national feed. For now I have the opción ultra especial, without the PBS national feed.

Last edited by Heat; 04-08-02 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-08-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's gotta be BS... That's false advertising if both the flyer that went in your bill and the website list it, they have to give it.

I'd call again and ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Let them correct the webpage, but tell them the reason you upgraded plans was that it included the channel. Threaten to go back to cable!
Old 04-08-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Unfortunately, we seem to live in a day and age where false advertising no longer exists. Any retail outlet or merchant can simply say "Gee, that's a mistake" or "We won't honor that because it is just too cheap, eff our policy and screw you."

Mistakes happen. Understandable. But consumer protection laws are provided for both the customer and the merchant. If the ad is an error, there are remedies that the the merchant may exercise. No, not may, HAVE to exercise. It is a shame that the government/state's attourney or attourney general (depending on your locale) no longer care about what corporate America does.