Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

joystick recommendations for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joystick recommendations for PS2?

Hi all,

I am strongly thinking about getting a joystick for my PS2. I want an "arcade" style, and would prefer not to get an import if it can be helped.

I have been reading and have seen mention of Interact's Shadowblade, Pelican's Arcade Fighter, and some stick made by ASCII (did they go boof, or did their website www.asciient.com just get hijacked?)

Anybody got any recommendations and/or comments for those listed above, or others?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-06-02, 11:23 PM
Banned

I asked this question a few weeks ago, but I found little help on the issue as most people just purchase what they can find. After reading reviews on several retail sites, I have found out that the only arcade stick worth the money is the ACSII arcade stick. The Pelican is just plane crap and the ShadowBlade has a square hole for the stick, which can't be good for doing half-circle moves. Unfortunately, the only place I have seen these sticks in from importers and sometimes on Ebay. I am planning to purchase one when I find one for a decent price. The only way to go is with the ACSII, all others are just a waste of money.
Old 04-07-02, 12:03 AM

On eBay you can find old PlayStation arcade sticks by Hori and by Namco (the original tekken edition with the yellow buttons is still my stick of choice). These are all well built with arcade quality parts equal to the ACSII stick. Also very durable so unless the used one is completely tooled on you'll be fine. Running 20-30.
Old 04-11-02, 10:38 PM

comments

Thanks for the comments.

I was in my local EB a couple days ago and picked up the ShadowBlade. The people at EB took it out of the box for me to look at and see how it "felt". It was also only US$30.00.

A mini-review follows:

First impression: This thing is sturdy. Aluminum body with good weight and wide base. This thing isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. It actually fits well on my (normal sized) lap, too.

Second, third, ect impressions:
The stick is a stem-type instead of a ball. Not that big of a deal for me, but it might be for some. The stick is quite responsive. The "re-center" springy-ness is just right for me. Good "clicky" feedback and it is easy to hit what you want in a precise manner..i.e. diagonals or cardinal directions. Half-circle and full-circle moves are not only possible, but quite easy with the stick. I don't know if this is an updated (hole) design or not, but I haven't had any probs with circular movements. Also, "spring" cardinal moves such as d, r or d, l or even l, d etc... are relatively easy to pull off without hitting an unintentional diagonal too. Quick "bounce" moves such as b,f or u,d are easy to do too.

The buttons are apparently large and easy to hit. They are so large that you will have a hard time hitting the wrong one by mistake (unless your whole hand is slightly out of position). Personally, they aren't "clicky" enough for me. In all fairness, they are analog/pressure sensitive for whatever games might support that feature so I would expect them to be slightly mushy. Further, they are quite responsive, you just tap 'em and they work. I just prefer a *little* more tactile/audible feedback. Another nice thing is that while the buttons are large, they aren't unwieldy and cramp-inducing, at least for me and I have normal sized hands.

The stick also features an auto-fire function (I haven't used it yet) as well as control programmability. If any of you have an Interact programmable controller such as the Stormchaser gamepad, the method of programming is the same. I have a couple of buttons switched on my panel. You can do long combos, adjust timing, etc, basically all the standard features of a programmable controller.

I must say that VF4 is a lot more fun now with what has turned out to be a really good stick.

My recommendation is to give the stick a shot. I have been using it heavy for a few days now and it appears to be just as good as when I took it out of the box. If nothing else, see if you can't get a salesperson to open the box so you can "feel" it and see if it is right for you.

I still don't have any experience with import sticks, but for those who don't want an import/prefer domestic, This seems like a really good option, especially for the price.

P.S. I saw the Pelican controller just today in a shop...it just looked really, really cheesy/cheap. In all fairness, it was packed and I couldn't give it a dry run.
Old 04-11-02, 10:43 PM
Banned

Lift up the boot and see what shape hole is there. Also, the last one I used (my friend had one for DC) was a POS and had a button broken. Is there anyway to access the inside of the base to possibly fix such a problem?
Old 04-12-02, 05:43 AM

I hated this stick and returned it to EB, the travel on the stick is too far, it seems like it is way way too far to be moving the stick from right to left. I also found the buttons to be way too "squishy" and not nearly responsive enough.

My recommendation is to buy a used PS1 stick by Namco or ACSII or Hori off eBay or other source. I think the Shadowblade got screwed up when they tried to make it analog compatible which seems uneeded.
Old 04-12-02, 10:49 AM

thoughts

joshd2012 - It doesn't appear that I can take the rubber up around the base of the stick w/o damaging it. The hole in the aluminum base itself is round. There might be some other mounting system within the base, but on the case itself, the hole is round.

I don't know about cracking the thing open. There are a few phillips head screws on the base. I don't know if they have any that are hidden under the baseplate rubber pads though. If the only screws holding the base plate are the visible ones, then you should be able to crack it open relatively easily.

Zinc - I can see where you are coming from. I agree that an import, (based on my research, not direct experience) is the way to go. I can see where some people would have problems with the following Shadowblade features:

"springy-ness" of the joystick. It works well for me, but granted it would probably be much nicer if the spring(s) were much harder.

The analog buttons, as I noted, aren't clicky enough for me. I agree that in the best universe, they would be of the actual arcade type instead of the semi-mushy analog-compatable ones.

All-in-all, I would recommend that somebody examine the thing before they buy it. To me, for the price and immediate availability, it was a good purchase and I am happy. Down the road, once I get spare $$$ and some time I will probably go ahead and get an import, or actually build a custom one for myself. While I am happy, I can see where people would have and could have issues with this stick.