Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review: Cappadonna's Iron Fist Pillage

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-06-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Iron Fist Pillage"
Classic Kung-Fu...SPICY PARK HILL STYLE

Movie:
Wu Tang Clan rapper, Cappadonna, and a bunch of people of whom I've never heard (well, Steph Lova is a fairly well-known radio DJ) provide an ebonics-laden dub track to an old school kung fu film. From the clips I saw at www.ironfistpillage.com I thought it would be wack sh*t, but it turns out the film is quite funny, especially if you appreciate hip hop and are familiar with the slang.

Fortunately they didn't just rely on the gimmick of rappers dubbing kung fu. The writing is genuinely funny in places and even inspired. The performers all seem to be game. Well, except Cap. He seems to be taking it damn seriously but really that just makes his performance the funniest of all.

BTW, the original film stars Ti Lung (Jackie Chan's dad in Drunken Master 2/Legend of the Drunken Master) and features tons of old school fighting. The story has been cut in several places but what's there seems quite interesting.

Bottomline, watch it with a bunch of friends and have a blast.

Image:
Pretty decent widescreen transfer of a print in bad shape. Lots of scratches, dirt and what not. However, all of that adds to the "buddies talking s@#! over an old kung fu tape" charm. This production is not in any way about presenting the film as it was originally meant to be seen, so the visual nicks aren't a big deal. Widescreen gets the job done and the producers make it very clear that they know it's a sh*tty print.

Audio:
Just the English dub track with all new music and sound effects. No original dialogue. The music during the fights is actually pretty good imho. Ominous beats with no rapping over them. It works. I didn't get to test it with the surround sound, so I can't comment on that aspect. They do make a small effort to synchronize the voices to the lip movements. Overall, quite serviceable.

Extas:
Chapter search. That's all.

Overall:
Does the idea of an ebonics and comedy dub over a kung fu flick sounds appealing to you? If so, then Iron Fist Pillage is for you. It delivers on the premise perfectly and the DVD is nice priced at $17.99.