Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How much must I spend for good DVD player.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-06-02, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently waiting on the Outlaw 950/770 and before it gets here I would like to purchase an all-around DVD player.

Is it possible to get one for under $1000 that does what everyone looks for in a player? (I would like to spend a lot less than a grand but if that's what it takes.......)

Around Christmas time I will be purchasing (hopefully) HDTV.

My short list is, DVD's probably 80-90% of the time, CDs the rest, I would like to explore DVD-A or SACD, I've read many threads and it is very confusing trying to sort out which features are necessary, so I guess if there's a player you know about that is pretty much the player to have for under $1000 please suggest.

Also if there is a player coming out within the next few months that might have features you would wait for please include those as well.

Harley
Old 04-06-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get a great one for less than $300.

I'm currently looking to upgrade my player. I've been looking into progressive scan (which I suggest you get because of the HDTV ugrade your looking to get).

I narrowed it down to a few players you may want to check out:
Panasonic RP56
Toshiba SD4700
Toshiba SD5700

Do research if you have time: search this board, search for reviews etc. you'll be able to find a great player for wayyyy under $1000.
Old 04-06-02, 01:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
A $1500-$2000 player is okay, and will suit the needs of most casual HT hobbyists.

Anything under $1000 is crap, and not worth considering.
Old 04-06-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
A $1500-$2000 player is okay, and will suit the needs of most casual HT hobbyists.

Anything under $1000 is crap, and not worth considering.
lol :-)
Old 04-06-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What display device do you have? I would not consider a DVD player for over $400 unless I had a $4000+ display device.
Old 04-12-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pick up a "Norcent" DVD player from BESTBUY for only 74.99. Great deal!

What can a $1000 DVD player do? I'm curious, I'm interested.....
Old 04-12-02, 03:52 PM

If you are willing to spend $1000 and get a DVD player to beat all DVD players, look at the Pioneer Elite DV-47a. This player does everything, it carries Pioneer Elite's quality seal, it is prog scan, it play DVD, DVD-A, SACD and Mp3. Yes, I did say DVD-A and SACD . This is the first player (minus the Apex, but Apex is pure junt and doesn't count) to put DVD-A and SACD under the hood of one unit for this price. There is a review on it in this months HT Mag, it is just a solid player.

If you don't want to spend that much, you will be looking at stuff like the Panasonic RP-91 for around $400-$700 (depending where you get it, on-line or retail), or for even less... Panasonic RP-56 is probably the best entry level prog scan player out on the market using Faroudja's technology in the prog scan ship, all for $220 retail.