Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT Speaker Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-02, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HT Speaker Advice

I just purchased a Yamaha 5450 Receiver and am using it with my Hitachi 53 in HDTV monitor, Toshiba SD 3750 DVD and a pair of early 90's Advent Heritage Speakers. I've been doing some web research on HT speaker systems and am considering the following:

JBL NSP1 5-piece plus the JBL PB10 Sub
or

HTD Level 2 5.1 Set (I'd love to hear the group's thoughts on these since they're direct order and can't be "test driven")

or

Harman Kardon HKTS 10

Which would you pick?
Am I missing out on a good option in the same price range?

Any reason to consider keeping the Advent oldies part of my set up, or should they be retired to the rec room?

Also, what speaker cables will deliver the most bang for my buck with this set up?

Thanks all.
Old 04-07-02, 01:29 AM

Heya. I hope I'm not out of line recommending something not on your list, but I really like the Swan Divas. If you have not heard of them, check out this thread.

They are direct via net only like the HTD's, but you can request an audition here.

What's your budget including sub?
Old 04-07-02, 01:47 AM

oops...forgot about the speaker wire...

Personally, I use 12 gauge OFC wire (fome Home Depot) for my rears and center and Onix SP100 cables for my mains as you can see those wires. If you get the Divas, you also get 20% any cable. I think it goes for $3.50 a foot normally. Some pics: here and here.

Sean
Old 04-07-02, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I will check out the swan divas.

I'd like to keep my total speaker cost to $600 or less including the sub. Does that change your recommendation?
Old 04-07-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
just a note...Harman Kardon and JBL are the same company so those two sets of speakers will probably be rather similar if they're at the same price point. i have the JBL's that you listed and they sound excellent, especially for the price. they are generally regaurded as the best you can get for the price that you mentioned i believe.
Old 04-07-02, 01:09 PM

Yeah, the Divas are a bit more than that. It's $1198 for the least expensive Diva 5 channel package...+ $399 for a Hsu VTF-2.