Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Widespread Panic fans know if the Houser cancer rumors are true?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A buddy of mine sent me this email today...

OK guys - I got this info the Webmaster for Brown Cat, so I think it is pretty accurate. First, Mikey does have pancreatic cancer. He is now undergoing chemotherapy, but Oak Mtn. will be his last shows, period. He will do everything that is scheduled for the Spring including all the Panic shows, the Jerry Joseph shows, and the Brute show in Athens (I think).
But, Sunday at Oak Mtn. will be it. Derek Trucks has been living with Mikey and his family in Chattanooga TN for the last two or so months, learning all the songs. He will tour with Mike and Panic for the Spring as a "emergency stand-in". Apparently, Mikey chose Derek as his successor. The Band members said that they would not go on unless Mike was comfortable with it. Mike is committed to the band continuing and has said that he will do everything to prepare Derek. This is Mikey's decision. Bonaroo will be Derek's first shows with WSP, although they are not real happy about it. But, they will take off the whole month of May and part of June to practice together. Then, there will be a whole new summer tour, in the states. In fact, they have already booked Dallas in late June. That's about it. Oh, one more thing. Brown Cat has given Mike a separate touring bus for him and his family so they can be alone and together for the Spring. He has two kids. That's pretty gracious. Pass it along to whomever you like.
Friends of mine have been emailing for days about this, but I haven't been able to even find any other rumors about it on the web. Man, I hope it's false, and if it is true, only the best to Mike and his family...

Last edited by Gdrlv; 04-03-02 at 07:37 PM.