Reload this Page >

Multiplayer question: Four player RPG?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-03-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I love playing multiplayer games. Monkey Ball, Wave Race, Mario Kart, even some of the sports games. They are all great. Nothing like trash talking and name calling.

My question is, are there any games (or plans for a game) in which four players work together? What I'm thinking of is a RPG-style game where each controller controls a unique character that is integral to the game, story and outcome. I've played Gauntlet, but I'm looking for something a little more thought provoking than the hack and slash. Heck, even a two player game, where literally you couldn't play unless your partner was with you, would be sweet. My friend and I always play through the new Final Fantasy the weekend it comes out, but that is still trading the controller back and forth. A game where both controllers were in play at all times is what I'm looking for.

Is this the way Phantasy Star is? Any other games like this?

stoolie
Old 04-03-02, 01:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Currently on the PS2, but coming for Xbox and Gamecube later this year.
Old 05-08-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and played through with a friend, using up any availalble time. "Okay, just one more save point. Okay, now just one more save point. No really." It made me late for everything possible.

I liked the game a lot. Fighting in real-time is different than the Final Fantasy style turn-based system. My only problem with the game was the extreme linear nature. I wanted to take the time to go kill some monsters and build characters up without having to play through the game again.

But how fun it was to find a Flaming Burst Mithral Two-Handed Great Sword of Pain and Dismemberment +5 and use it to hack those monsters to death.

A great game made better by the two-player option. I hope they make a sequel, and I hope other games with two player RPG elements come out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

stoolie