Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Converting Home Movies To DVD

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-03-02, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a thread full of spam from earlier today that was closed (and probably rightfully so) that was promoting a company that will convert VHS home movies to DVD.

I hadn't thought of converting those old VHS home movies to DVD until reading that thread, but now it sounds like a pretty good idea - heck, they might even make nice Christmas presents.

Has anybody done this already? If so, where did you have it down, how much did it cost, and how was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any responses...
Old 04-03-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i want to so I can dump my vcr but most places that do it charge ourageous fees....thses are the same criminals that used to to the 8mm to vhs conversions..Ill wait until I can buy my own dvd burner and do it my self like I did the 8mm's
Old 04-03-02, 12:28 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Let's try this topic here. Although some more technical, and potentially better answers about doing it yourself, might come from the Computer Forum.
Old 04-03-02, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Yeap, I would wait also!

this year we have three standards out there. I would thinkg the next year it will be down to won winner at that piont the prices will start to fall.

If you cant wait just pick oen of the standards and get a home or computer deck and record away.
Old 04-03-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
i want to so I can dump my vcr but most places that do it charge ourageous fees....thses are the same criminals that used to to the 8mm to vhs conversions..Ill wait until I can buy my own dvd burner and do it my self like I did the 8mm's
Are you talking about 8mm film? Not 8mm camcorder cassettes, but actual celluloid film?
How did you get it on tape yourself? My father paid to have it done on a few of his vast assortment of home movies and it looks like somebody projected the film on a wall and filmed it with a handheld video camera. I would like to get the rest of them in some other format because the color films are fading fast. (The B&W still look pretty good.) I thought if I could at least get them into DIVX AVI or MOV format, they at least wouldn't get any worse until writable DVD is standardized and affordable.
Old 04-04-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well you can make VCD's through your CDR. All you need is an analog capturing device or a camcorder that can do it for you. Obviously the camcorder has to have a firewire port..

If you have the camcorder you can get started for about $100.00
Old 04-22-02, 08:34 PM

For those of you who are as clueless about all this as I am, I thought I'd mention that I picked up the May issue of PC Upgrade (with "Build Your Own DVD Movie Production System" on the cover). Articles of interest include:
"Build Your Own DVD Authoring PC"
"DVD Burners"
"DVD Authoring Software"
"Digital Video Cameras"

If you are looking to take the leap into this area, you might want to keep an eye out for this magazine.
Old 04-22-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had my wedding video converted to DVD more than a year ago through www.lifeclips.com. I was very happy.

I just checked, and it's $30 which seems pretty ridiculous. When I got mine done, there was a promotion for S/H only ($10).