DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Old 04-02-02, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Star Wars vs. Star Trek: The Rivalry Continues released on DVD by Passport, 2001 (MSRP $9.99).

The merits of a documentary such as this are largely subjective. This DVD has abysmal sound and picture quality and poor source material, is based upon an absurd premise, and lacks even the dedication to topic that has salvaged similar projects. Nevertheless, there is an audience for even this DVD - two in fact. Despite its flaws, this DVD should be in the home library of every hard core Star Trek or Star Wars fan, especially those with a collection compulsion such as myself, and should at least be viewed by those who love such people. This film has little to offer non-maniacal fans though.

THE GOOD: This source material for this documentary is culled from numerous rarely seen interviews with the actors, writers and directors of these two monumental sci-fi franchises. The thirty some plus minutes of interviews with the actors is enough to justify the cost to some hardcore fans. Additionally, this documentary capsulates the subject matter well enough to provide a good overview of important events in the development of both franchises. This is the kind of information that a parent or spouse of a hardcore Trek or Wars fan can benefit from, if not to better understand that fan’s love for the franchise, at least to better identify the important players and events.

THE BAD: This documentary appears to be one in a series of low-budget documentaries chronicling Hollywood rivalries, real and imagined. The subject matter does not lend itself to good objective documentary production, and is best served by fan-filmmakers. The creators of this documentary lack the love and deep understanding of the subject matter that are apparent in fan-made documentaries such as Starwoids. Additionally, the documentary suffers from an untenable premise. There is no real rivalry here either among the creative talents or fans, and what the documentary misses by focusing on this false dichotomy is the real story - the unique visions of Lucas and Roddenberry.

THE UGLY: The production quality rivals the worst of public access. This documentary was not approved by LucasFilms, 20th Century Fox, or Paramount, and this lack of endorsement coupled with a thread-bare budget is telling. Most of the source material is culled from the public domain. The scenes from the copyrighted films and television series look almost like they were captured with a video camera of a television or film screen - and in atleast one case this is true. What little original material was gathered is laughably bad: look for the attempted interview of Lucas - when he begins to approach the crew for an interview and then realizes that they aren’t with a major media organization he walks away.

FINAL ANALYSIS: If you’re a hardcore fan, pick this DVD up for the obscure source material and the unintended laughs. If you’re the parent or spouse of a hardcore fan and you’re looking for a cliff notes to Star Wars or Star Trek, pick this up too. If you fall into neither of these categories, don’t waste your money on this.
Old 04-11-02, 12:21 AM
Banned

star trek.....riiiiiiight

watch trekkies....well worth the price of admission, whether you're a fan or not...i happen to not be a fan, and i laughed my ass off.
Old 04-12-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This reminds me of the time I went to the Star Wars Celebration in Denver, CO just before episode I came out. A lot of people were dressed as stormtroopers, x-wing pilots, Boba Fett, and coutless other Star Wars characters. Then there were these two Klingons in full costume and makeup. Boy, were there ever a lot of people talking behind their backs.
Old 04-19-02, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by greatjedi
This reminds me of the time I went to the Star Wars Celebration in Denver, CO just before episode I came out. A lot of people were dressed as stormtroopers, x-wing pilots, Boba Fett, and coutless other Star Wars characters. Then there were these two Klingons in full costume and makeup. Boy, were there ever a lot of people talking behind their backs.
I recall seeing this on the Starwoids documentary. Personally, I've seen people dressed as Star Wars characters at Star Trek conventions and and didn't think twice about it. In fact here's a pic of my wife with a couple of them:

Why were the fans at the Star Wars Convention put off by the Klingons?

Last edited by Trekaholic; 04-20-02 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-19-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trekaholic

Why were the fans at the Star Wars Convention put off by the Klingons?
I don't know. I guess it was just the fact that there had never really been an official Star Wars convention, and since it was a celebration of the release of Episode I, it just seemed pretty odd to see Klingons walking around.
Truthfully, I don't think any of the people new to the convention thing knew what to expect. I know I didn't. The Klingons just came as a total surprise.
Old 04-23-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Never got why there is a big rivalary between star wars and star trek. I enjoy both. so it's possible to taste both sides of life.
Old 04-23-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A rivalry between these two franchises is possibly even more stupid than one between Star Wars and that other one with the little people and the jewelry.

BTW, the brilliant Star Trek producers have decided to release their latest movie one week after the second film in the aforementioned "little people and jewelry" is released. Smart.
Old 04-24-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
A rivalry between these two franchises is possibly even more stupid than one between Star Wars and that other one with the little people and the jewelry.

BTW, the brilliant Star Trek producers have decided to release their latest movie one week after the second film in the aforementioned "little people and jewelry" is released. Smart.
What are you talking about? I completely missed it, I guess
Old 04-24-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

What are you talking about? I completely missed it, I guess
(<---click me - )