Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Picture screen problem with Toshiba TV....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has a question concerning his 50" Toshiba big screen television. I own the same model so this sort of concerns me too.....

For the last few months, he's been experiencing problems with the picture after the TV has been on for approx. 4 hours. The top and bottom of the picture squeeze, like the aspect ratio is changing or something. It does it for 20 or 30 seconds and then returns to normal......repeating periodically.

Seems to only happen when the TV has gotten hot.

Any ideas on what the problem is? Any advice? Thanks in advance....
Old 04-01-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's just stretching a bit... don't you need a stretch after watching TV for 4 hours?

Seriously though, I have the 57" and haven't seen anything like this yet. My longest viewing session has been about 10 hours (NCAA ).
Old 04-02-02, 04:57 PM

LOL. You'd think you'd need a stretch, wouldn't you? The NCAAs are officially over......so get out and go joggin' or something!

As I say, this isn't my TV and I haven't seen it myself. My friend simply described the problem to me.......and I'm relaying it here. Personally, I've yet to experience anything like this. But, since I own the same model, I'm just curious as to what the problem is.
Old 04-03-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What model?
Old 04-03-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Since it only occurs after extended viewing, it could be a problem with a failing component in the high-voltage power supply. This is a call for a certified service technician. I assume this Toshiba 50" is one of those with an ultra bright CRT or 3 focused together on a rear projection screen by some complex optics. If it is one of the newer LCD based units, then the failure is in the picture processing circuitry. Once again, call the technician. Tell him Good Luck from me.