Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Dick Tracy (1990 feature)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 04-01-02, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Matt
Old 04-01-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got it & haven't watched it yet, but thought I'd let everyone know since most sites have no info & the back cover doesn't tell you either- it IS ANAMORPHIC & DTS! No extras at all, but at least good picture & sound.
Old 04-03-02, 02:53 AM

I got it, and the picture is pretty poor looking
Old 04-03-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by de5perado
I got it, and the picture is pretty poor looking
What's wrong with it?

Disney didn't send a review screener, and I'm not going to bother spending my own money on it if the transfer is lousy.
Old 04-03-02, 04:57 PM

Often times, the picture will take on an awful sort of strobing effect. This is most notable during the scene on the dock with Breathless and Tracy.

There is also some pixelation throughout.

The sound almost makes up for it though
Old 04-03-02, 10:49 PM

The DVD quality is pretty good, not great.....

First off, ...MUMBLES DIDNT SHOOT FIRST

However,

The film is just "okay"...I saw it in the theater when I was 10 and liked it a lot but it just hasnt aged well for me...maybe the "dark director's cut" thats rumored to exist could change my opinion of it, but otherwise, it doesnt really belong in my (or most people's) collection in its current incarnation...
Old 04-04-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd say really good, but not exceptional ( which is what it should have been considering the cinematography and vintage).

as far as it not aging well, i had just the opposite reaction. i think it a much more creatively daring picture than any of the other dozen or so comic-book character based films in recent memory.
not the best (it has some significant flaws), but its very close to being a seriously flawed masterpiece...for what it is-an homage to the enjoyment of comic strips.
as for a dark directors cut, i was amazed at how 'dark' it already was. it has some very black humour that is only subverted by the conciet of the primary color production design and the cartoon (meant in the best sense of the word) sense of timing.
Old 04-04-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indiansbsa
The film is just "okay"...I saw it in the theater when I was 10 and liked it a lot but it just hasnt aged well for me...maybe the "dark director's cut" thats rumored to exist could change my opinion of it, but otherwise, it doesnt really belong in my (or most people's) collection in its current incarnation...
Gee, thanks for passing judgement on what belongs in other people's collections.
Old 04-05-02, 10:59 AM

Gee, thanks for passing judgement on what belongs in other people's collections.
Seems odd for a reviewer to criticize someone for offering their opinion...
Old 04-05-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Oatsdad

I too found it odd that he would say that the movie doesn't belong in most people's collections, but i suppose you're right...just an opinion.
Old 04-05-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Oatsdad
Offering a personal reaction to a movie is one thing. Stating that it does not belong in anyone's collection is quite another.

I personally despise the movie Forrest Gump and I just don't see why anyone else would like it. Nonetheless, a lot of people do seem to like it. I would never tell them that they shouldn't buy the movie. I would just point out my reasons for not liking it and allow them to make up their own minds.

Also, a lot of people collect movies for certain actors or directors regardless of quality. Hell, some people collect bad movies intentionally.

A reviewer doesn't pass judgement on what people collect. (Actually, I do, but I don't write about it here -- That's what USENET is for!).

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-05-02 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-05-02, 03:08 PM

"in my opinion!!" (doesnt belong in most people's collections in its current incarnation)

This isnt simply b/c of the movie but b/c a better release seems imminent of this title (Vista Series Director's Cut)

you guys happy?

just a little oversight
Old 04-06-02, 06:35 AM

I've got it now and saw it and actually think it's pretty good. Didn't notice print flaws and the colors are strong. However I must admit that sometimes the colors seemed to bleed. I was however surprised the surrounds were as active as they were considering it was released before Digital Soundtracks. Not comparable to today's soundtracks but more impressive than I thought especially with the DTS!
Old 04-06-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by davcole
I was however surprised the surrounds were as active as they were considering it was released before Digital Soundtracks. Not comparable to today's soundtracks but more impressive than I thought especially with the DTS!
Actually, Dick Tracy was one of the very first movies to be released theatrically in a 5.1 digital sound format, the now-defunct CDS system. As such, it probably had pumped-up surround activity to show off what the system could do.
Old 04-09-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

after a second viewing i'll have to ammend my appraisal of the video on this.
my first reaction was based on the first 10 minutes, which i thought looked pretty good.
after watching a little more yesterday (the rehersal in the club -chapter 3 i think) the picture really isn't very good.
the red lighting of the scene is terribly overstaurated.

disappointing.

shame the picture couldn't match the quality of the dts soundtrack