Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone play board games?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone play board games?

Just curious if anyone was into board games anymore since video games are so prolific now. Honestly I still enjoy a good board game if i have a group of 4 or 5 people to all play together.

Lately i've been playing Tikal (which is an enjoyable game that is pretty simple to pick up) a lot lately as well as trying to teach myself Go.

mods: if this is in a forum you think is wrong then move it to where you think it would fit better... i kind of guessed that video games would be a little better than the other forum.
Old 03-31-02, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still play Trivial Pursuit a lot as well as an occasional game of Monopoly, Scrabble and (guilty pleasure) Stratego.
Old 03-31-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my ass kicked in Rummikub today by my cousin.
Old 03-31-02, 10:18 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Does Mario Party count?
Old 03-31-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shrike
I still play Trivial Pursuit a lot as well as an occasional game of Monopoly, Scrabble and (guilty pleasure) Stratego.
to Stratego. Boom!
Old 03-31-02, 10:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like an obscure little board game called Chess.
Old 04-01-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still sometimes play the following:

Axis & Allies
Axis & Allies: Europe
Axis & Allies: Pacific
Third Reich
Victory in the Pacific
Empires in Arms
Tac Air
Squad Leader

I have a large collection of Avalon Hill and SPI games that I sometimes mess around with.
Old 04-01-02, 10:11 AM

I love board games. About two years ago, I got into what's referred to as "German-style" games. They are fun, but not overly complicated games that can be played in about an hour or two. They usually have great components and interesting themes. Very few of these games have dice! They are a lot different than American "bored" games.

I have over 100 games now. I have my parents over about once a month to play. They're always interested in my games. My wife won't touch video games, but she'll play board games with me. Sometimes, she even preferres to play a game instead of *gasp* watching a movie!

xmiyux - Have you ever played "Settlers of Catan"? Even people that normally apethic about board games seem to eat that one up.
Old 04-01-02, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by KingSlack
I love board games. About two years ago, I got into what's referred to as "German-style" games. They are fun, but not overly complicated games that can be played in about an hour or two. They usually have great components and interesting themes. Very few of these games have dice! They are a lot different than American "bored" games.
Some friends introduced me to a German card game called "Bohnanza." Have you ever played it? It's a lot of fun.

I still love playing Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Beyond Balderdash. And I just got the $25,000 Pyramid board game which is great!
Old 04-01-02, 12:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My faves are Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit (or anything trivia related... I am a font of useless knowledge), Life, Monopoly, and the Axis and Allies series... never played A&A Europe or Asia, but I bet I'd like them.
Old 04-01-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goblincat

I have a large collection of Avalon Hill and SPI games that I sometimes mess around with.
I love the old Avalon Hill games - actually i've been looking for one in particular for years now but i can't find a copy with all the pieces. It was called "Wizards" and was my fav board game of all time but a elementary school friend had it so i never owned it myself
Old 04-01-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, board games are great. We used to have a game night once a week for almost two years straight.

Trivial Pursuit (the Silver Screen edition is a bitch)
Pictionary (Al Jolson was the best clue we ever had, it took almost half an hour in an all-play)
Scattergories (if you want to argue the details)
Beyond Balderdash (the ultimate B.S. game)
Scrabble (fun, though only for four or less)
Risk (the current fave, we've been coming up with our own rules)
Outburst (party game, add alcohol)
Chess (great game, difficult to master, takes time)
Bughouse (four-person chess, wild and crazy)

There's more, but that's all I can think of.

stoolie
Old 04-01-02, 02:22 PM

TALSIMAN.

If you like fantasy games (and even if you don't) this is an awesome game that will keep you coming back and playing again and again. It's OOP and tough to find now, but well worth your time and effort.
Old 04-01-02, 05:12 PM

Settler's rules! I just spent a week in a cabin in Wisconsin with a bunch of friends. I couldn't believe how many board games we played. You'd actually be amazed how fun "Clue" can be when you're playing with six people.
Old 04-01-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by xmiyux
I love the old Avalon Hill games - actually i've been looking for one in particular for years now but i can't find a copy with all the pieces. It was called "Wizards" and was my fav board game of all time but a elementary school friend had it so i never owned it myself
I don't have that one...
There is a complete one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1718593240

The saddest thing is that there once was a hobby shop I used to go to about 30 miles from where I live. I only stopped by there once or twice a year and picked up a game, but it was the biggest treasure trove. It was run by this very old lady and they never cleared out their old stock. The last time I was there in 1994, they still had Atari 2600 games in the shrinkwrap, with the original $20-$30 price tags. They had tons of model kits, including many from the 70's and 80's. They had a copy of almost every war game that came out, even the old out of print ones. Hell, I remember even seeing a packaged afro pick from 1970, with drawings of people picking away.
Then one day I stopped by and it was closed and empty. I guess the old lady died or something. Whomever ended up with the contents of that store is super lucky. I wish to this day that I had more money then, because I look on ebay and see many of the things I saw there going for some pretty high prices.

I know I'll see that shop in heaven. It wouldn't be paradise without it.
Old 04-02-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another game i used to love to play that i totally forgot the name of was this space war game where you had little plastic rings representing your ships and they had holes on the top of the rings to insert pegged ship pieces representing fighter squadrons with the mother ship. It also had like four families (for earth, air, fire, and water) with these gorgeous cards showing a picture of each family member. In particular i remember one of the members of the air family being named Astrid and her picture was of this pretty woman in silver holding two daggers - funny how these things stick with you for years.

If anyone knows the name of this game - let me know
Old 04-02-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I occasioanlly play.
Would like to play more but need to find others to do so. My wife is difficult to get to play, as we must be selective. It seems as though her family has an overly competitive nature whith board games and she gets mean.

Some favs are Risk and Cribbage and Pitch if you want to go card games.
Old 04-02-02, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
I love Chess, too. I also play Cribbage and Scrabble every once in a while.
Old 04-02-02, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Will that run on my new computer?
Old 04-02-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDaddy

Will that run on my new computer?
You can play it at http://games.yahoo.com and http://www.worldchessnetwork.com .
Old 04-02-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WhoGirl

You can play it at http://games.yahoo.com and http://www.worldchessnetwork.com .
Warning: she's VERY good.
Old 04-02-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by criptik28

Warning: she's VERY good.

Yes, I am.
Old 04-02-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by xmiyux
Another game i used to love to play that i totally forgot the name of was this space war game where you had little plastic rings representing your ships and they had holes on the top of the rings to insert pegged ship pieces representing fighter squadrons with the mother ship. It also had like four families (for earth, air, fire, and water) with these gorgeous cards showing a picture of each family member. In particular i remember one of the members of the air family being named Astrid and her picture was of this pretty woman in silver holding two daggers - funny how these things stick with you for years.

If anyone knows the name of this game - let me know
Shadowlord.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1717781837
Old 04-02-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm stunned no one here has mentioned one of the greatest board game designer in recent memory, the dude who runs CheapAss Games. I have dreams about trying to kill that bastard Dr. Lucky.

Settlers is fun too, but there's a problem with it. Often, you know who's going to win about a third of the way into the game. At the very least, in a four player game, one person is almost always guaranteed to lose, be it from a few bad rolls or crappy placement at the beginning. Adding the Knights & Cities and Seafarers expansions only worsens this aspect.

That said, the fully expanded Settlers is still a huge amount of fun, as is its companion game, Starfarers of Catan. But for the same price you can have four or five great games from CheapAss. I'm gonna stop here; I sound like an ad...