Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Thirteen Ghosts

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-31-02, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVD coming out this Tuesday and CC will have it for $15.99.

Any good? Plot? Special effects? Scares? Comments? Thanks.
Old 03-31-02, 02:55 AM
Cool New Member

I hope you'll find our review answers your question(s) in detail - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdrevie...13enghosts.htm

To summarize: noisy movie; cool ghosts; weak scares; nice production design; terrible screenplay; solid DVD. All IMHO.

Bill C
Film Freak Central
Old 03-31-02, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i haven't got my hands on the DVD yet but as for the movie, i liked it. The intro kinda had me thinking this movie was gonna suck big time. And the mansion was a bit too weird but the movie totally picks up once the ghosts start to appear in the mansion. The ghosts scared me and some of them were just plain UGLY! Its your average horror flick but im a big horror fan so i dug it.
Old 03-31-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen this one. Sounds like it deserves a rental rather than a blind purchase.
Old 03-31-02, 10:57 AM
Banned

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc?Nudity? Swearing? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?Is it better than the original?

Your thoughts/feelings?
Old 03-31-02, 11:37 AM

I saw this movie in the theater. This isn't typically my kind of movie, but I was on a date with a girl who likes horror movies.

I found it to be a good movie. The ghosts are very interesting and creepy.

I was NOT going to buy the DVD, but then I found out there was an extra that gave background information on each of the 12 ghosts. I watched this the other day and it was interesting info, but I wish it would have been longer. It was only about a 1 minutes explanation for each of the 12 ghosts. Other specail features include a 'making of' featurette, trailer and that's about it.

I'm sure there is probably swearing, but I can't really remember any, so I don't think it dominates the movie or anything. The only nudity is that one of the ghosts is a HOT women that is totally naked. She was really creepy.

I personally don't like horror movies. The creepiness of the ghosts in this movie probably means I won't watch it alone. It will be a good one to watch with friends though.
Old 03-31-02, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc?Nudity? Swearing? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?Is it better than the original?

Your thoughts/feelings?
Yes, AaronBot, there is nudity. A female ghost who walks around topless with multiple scars on her chest. Very appetizing.

Did I just overlook it before or are you now programmed to ask about swearing, too? My God, what criteria.

Bill C
Film Freak Central
Old 03-31-02, 10:25 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
This one has rental written all over it for me.
Old 04-01-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAAAAAAD movie. Good DVD.

Rental first for sure.
Old 04-01-02, 09:08 AM
Tee
Banned

I fancied this the other day after seeing the trailer.... I watched/reviewed the DVD yesterday and have to say, really enjoyed it. There's plenty wrong with the film, don't get me wrong, but it is definitely enjoyable crap.

Thirteen Ghosts
Old 04-03-02, 09:16 AM
Banned

How's Thirteen Ghosts?

I see this for $14.99 at Best Buy, and the price tag along with Shannon Elizabeth are VERY tempting, but I don't know. I haven't heard anything about the movie other than my feeble-minded former roommate said it was "VERY scary," which doesn't really help me much because she likes some of the worst movies I've ever seen!

So I was wondering if any knowledgeable people out there could share their thoughts on the movie and DVD.

I'd appreciate it...thanks.
Old 04-03-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I saw it last night. The DVD looks awesome(WB has done a great job once again). For 14.99$ I definitely think that it is a bargain(or simply a good price, how's that?).

Besides that, the qaulity of the movie is pretty good. Nice clear transfer with deep colors and clear sound. There are a few spots where some of the digital "cleaning" could have been done better but overall looks solid.

The extras are also quite good....a music video (Tricky....very nice mix), a trivia info page, commentaries, a look into the old 60's classic, and some additional fun stuff(not going to say what).

Again, for 14.99$ I will definitely go for it. If you are looking for a overall review of the flick then you should go to the DVDREVIEW section of the forum.
Old 04-03-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie was kinda OK at best. It reminds of a high tech version of Hellraiser 2, where the protagonists are basically running from monsters in a maze the whole movie. The special FX were very good and there were a couple of scares in it, but that's about it. As far as the acting goes it's pretty bad all around with the exception of the reliable Tony Shalhoub (how did he agree to this?). Shannon Elizabeth should rethink her no-nudity clause, because if this is the kind of performance we'll be seeing from her, I doubt she'll be getting many more gigs. Matthew Lillard was annoying as usual and the "token black person" is there complete with the cliched dialogue. Picture and sound were excellent and the extras are pretty good, especially the profiling of the ghosts, but bottom line, unless you're a big fan of the stars this is a definite rental.
Old 04-03-02, 05:09 PM
Banned

Great Movie, Great DVD! I really enjoyed how they had the backstories on all the ghosts (it's not a text it's live!) The commentary isn't really all that good though.
Old 04-03-02, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

best buy has it for 14.99
Old 04-05-02, 11:21 AM

This was one awful movie. The effects and ghosts were cool. But there was no suspense, hence no 'scary' factor. We KNEW there were ghosts in the basment. And we knew what was next. It was almost as if the family was at a track meet waiting for the gun to fire to start the race.

This was beyond predictable. So much so that it was laughable. In fact. This was one of those rare movies that was soooo stupid that I actually began laughing during the second half. So in that respect, I enjoyed the comedy I created in my own head.

Not only would I not buy this movie. I'm pissed that I wasted $4 renting it.

I found a major spoiler. After the daughter was scratched in the face by the ghost with the cage on her head. The daughter had no face marks at all. Then later in the movie, the face marks were there. This was so obvious, I'm surpirsed the editors missed it.
Old 04-05-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts
I rented this flick tonight & it was strictly a rental. Even maybe a wait for HBO. It is not scary at all but there is some really good make-up effects. It was nice to see not every special effect done with CGI.

The house was super cool & the monsters were nice and freaky. Kinda reminded me of Hellraiser monsters or that action figure series Lost Souls (?).

The naked ghost had an obvious fake booby body suit on. Look closely. There was some funny lines of dialogue & the way the attorney dies is just classic.

The script was weak as was the acting. The sound was pretty good.

All in all...I give it a D+.
Old 04-06-02, 08:21 AM

Tortured Souls Brian. Tortured Souls.

Doc
Old 04-06-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts
Originally posted by DrMcKittrick
Tortured Souls Brian. Tortured Souls.

Doc
D'oh! That's right. Thanks.

I guess the "Lost Souls" line of action figures could be done by the Christian Coalition.
Old 04-07-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rented it at hollywood with the 99 cent coupon.
the dvd is decent, my only problems are with the movie itself and the commentary is really boring ( couldn't listen to the whole thing.) i was expecting crap and that is pretty much what i got, but some of the ghosts are cool and the house is really neat.

it was mentioned in the commentary but i forget the details, that alot of the same people were involved in the remake of house on haunted hill. not knowing this when i watch the movie i kept thinking that too. so if you like HoHH then you should like this, even though it suffers from the same flaws.

the extras of this disc where the best part. shame they didn't go into the historys of the different ghost in the movie.

i thought the torso was cool but i only noticed it in the making of doc and not the movie, shame it wasn't featured more.
Old 04-08-02, 06:45 PM

The naked ghost had an obvious fake booby body suit on. Look closely.
Pretty sure she really was naked. They discuss that in the audio commentary. She just had really bad fake breasts
Spoiler:
which actually makes sense for the character, if you watch the backstory info in the supplements...
Old 04-09-02, 01:10 PM

the house that the story took place is cool, and so are the ghost.. but some of them didnt do much.. or show much.
otherwise .. most of the effects are pretty good.
Old 04-13-02, 01:28 PM

Anybody notice that in the documentary and in some print material they kept referring to the original 13 GHOSTS as 3-D? I saw this puppy when it first came out in 1960 or '61 (yeah, I'm that old), and actually got one of the ghost viewers, which was red and blue cellophane. You looked through the red if you wanted to see the ghosts and through the blue if you were a chicken. The ghosts were somehow color printed on the b/w stock. There was nothing 3-D about it. So did they have 3-D in the big cities or what? You'd think that these preservers of the Castle legacy would get their facts straight...