DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Iron Monkey-opinions

Old 03-24-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Monkey-opinions

nay opinions on this one? I thought Crouching Tiger was boring but according to DVDFILE if you liked the fight scenes in TIGER but found the desert scenes boring then this is the movie for you...IM not a hard core kung fu fan( I only own Bruce Lee and Sonny Chiba movies on DVD) but this one seemed interesting
Old 03-24-02, 09:12 PM

IRON MONKEY has the same style of fight choreography as CROUCHING TIGER, so if you enjoyed the action in that movie you'll definitely love IRON MONKEY. It's very much a mainstream entertainment flick so it's not "boring" at all. Being a hardcore martial arts movie fan of course I'm partial towards this flick and can highly recommend it to other fans of the genre, but rent it first. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-24-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aren't Chiba & Bruce Lee martial arts usually 'realistic'? Iron Monkey has a lot of super jumping and floating. It's also excessively undercranked. So if you're more used to the Bruce Lee enter the dragon style, this might not be for you.

The choreography is still awesome and hard hitting. But there's a good chance if you aren't used to the fantastical elements then you might laugh at it.
Old 03-24-02, 09:52 PM

if you liked the Matrix fight scenes, you should really dig on Iron Monkey.
Old 03-26-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The question is:
Which version should you buy?

The US version streets today, but Disney (of course) has eliminated some parts from the original HK version. Do these scenes change the mood or flow of the movie?
I wonder if the Disney version cleaned-up the video presentation of this film.....
I realize Disney included an original score with their DVD instead of using the original soundtrack. Some will be disappointed in this. At least the original Cantonese dialog is included with English subtitles.

There was a website that posted the differences between the US and HK versions, complete with comparison shots of several scenes in the movie. Just can't remember where or what their final verdict was.
Sorry.
Maybe someone else has a link to this.
Old 03-26-02, 10:59 AM

Welp I know the cuts
Dont care to go in to them unless somebody really wants to know but lets just say they are a bunch of short cuts and not one or two really long ones

Do they affect the movie?imo YES

Also their was some re-wording in the subtitles that is wrong and adds a thing or two to the plot that is not really part of the movie.

I already own the mega star version of this which comes fully in-tact no cuts,no music changes,and no subtitle re-wording or anything and I recommend it over the new version to anyone with a standard R1 player

anybody with a region free should check out the hong kong legends version from what i've heard.

Alot of people say that fans of pure kung-fu will not like this movie but I beg to differ.Sure their are wires in this movie but they are used in moderation.Not flying around like Crouching tiger.
Most of the fighting although sped-up is pure and wire-less.

This is a good movie to see just to have seen the movie that inspired the likes of cthd and the matrix.
Old 03-26-02, 03:48 PM

What about The picture quality difference w/ sound? Can someone tell me what the best overall Region 1 version is?
Old 03-26-02, 06:31 PM

I have the new edition w/ 16x9 enhanced picture. It is a beautiful looking and sounding disc. It has been edited by the director and with the director's blessing so it is hard to be upset about the differences. In my experience director's cuts are unsatifying, Aliens, Blade Runner, Leon, to name just a few. This is a really nice disc but somehow it is unsatisfying like many other revised editions of favorite films. The print used is from Tarantino's personal collection and is near pristine. That alone makes this at least a rental. The previous HK edition I had was a pretty battered looking print with subtitles that flew by so fast it was dizzying. I like the new disc. Check it out and see for yourself.
Old 03-26-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have the HK version on VHS, and I have one question about the new US version: did they keep the Good, The Bad and The Ugly/ Morricone-sounding score voice effect whenever the witch-villain shows up? You know, the high-pitched "aghh-ah-ahhhhhhhhh" ? That was really cool, and if they kept that, then I'll go with the US version.
Old 03-26-02, 08:42 PM

nah, they took out that voice effect too, but also replaced the generic sounding sound effects that any fan of HK action flicks should recognize with a more realistic sounding effects.
Old 03-26-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How's the subwoofer action on the US disc?
Old 03-27-02, 01:25 AM

ipkevin

This is from dvdfile "My, my, my kung fu has never sounded so good, and I don't remember the film sounding this great in the theater! Included are the film's original Chinese track in Dolby Digital 5.1 and an English 5.1 dub. The surrounds are extraordinarily active as ninja outfits whoosh and skull cracks wallop all around the listener. When there isn't any action, ambiance is strong, with the rain, crowded streets or the score lively in the rear channels. Imaging is also very good with a great deal of pans that are near seamless. Dialogue is solidly anchored in the center channel and is never lost amid all of the sound effects. The high and midranges are also expertly reproduced creating a superbly balanced mix. Bass extension is also commendable as tight bass is present almost throughout the film. There aren't a lot of thunderous explosions, but when the LFE isn't rumbling it is being utilize with great subtly. These tracks are much more exciting than I could have anticipated.

The English dub is pretty bad, so give the Chinese mix a go. There are also English subtitles and English Closed Captions available."
Old 03-27-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I never saw it I figured the cuts wouldnt bother me so I got the Disney Version yesterday-you all were right though..this is one entertaining movie..well worth th purchase price..excellent!!!
Old 03-27-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Smog!
Old 03-27-02, 02:43 PM
Banned

You guys are hypocrites. Do you know anything about this movie. It was cut for the US release by Wo-ping himself. You guys are always talking about if it was the director's intention then it is ok, but now when the director actually oks it you feel the need to boycott it. Disney DID NOT make Wo-ping cut the movie. Wo-ping said that he wanted to tighten up the film. He felt that the movie played too loosely. I for one bought the new version because I feel that the cuts that Wo-ping made are good ones and don't take away from the story. The new subtitles DO add to the film and were done with Wo-ping's approval. Next time you guys feel the need to boycott something then get your facts straight first.

PS: There is no need to boycott everything that you don't like. I don't like milk. I hate it, but you don't see me starting a petition to get milk done away with. You guys need to find something better to do than sit around and complain about how Anchor Bay made Evil Dead widescreen or how there's four frames cut out of this movie. You guys are pathetic.
Old 03-29-02, 01:59 PM

wow CYF way to vent all your frustrations of dvdtalk in this one topic

I dont like movies cut period,I dont care who does it

The region 1 megastar version is the best dont waste your money on the new one,thanks
Old 03-29-02, 09:23 PM
Banned

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc?Nudity? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?

Your thoughts/feelings?
Old 03-31-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

CTHD was a much better film overall, however, Iron Monkey was great too. I loved the humor and the fighting scenes they were interesting and funny. At the same time I enjoyed the Robin Hood theme of the film. I definitely will buy this one in a near future.

DVD SMURF
Old 03-31-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by slax
wow CYF way to vent all your frustrations of dvdtalk in this one topic

I dont like movies cut period,I dont care who does it

The region 1 megastar version is the best dont waste your money on the new one,thanks

The HKL version is much better than the Megastar one.....
Old 04-01-02, 07:04 AM

i have all 3 versions, IMHO the new dvd is awesome and i feel that it is more entertaining, some of the music should've been left in, but if it was, the same people that are crying about it being left out, would cry about something else. the HKL dvd is awesome in terms of extras and it does contain the original version, the megastar dvd is crap, only get it if you absolutely have to have the original version with it's few minute extra running time and if you aren't able to get the HKL dvd. i have had this movie for several years and i at first i was upset that the newer version was cut. after i gave it a chance and looked out of the "what about the director's vision?" box, and found out that YUEN approved of the new version, i realised that it is a tighter, faster paced and more enjoyable film. that's my opinion, i'm not trying to bash anybody and i know that i am going to catch some crap from somebody who has been watching HK movies for about 3 months and considers themselves an expert, so as i have respected your opinion, respect mine and anybody else that doesn't agree with you.
Old 04-01-02, 07:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Nudity?
No.