Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony talks about PS3 and PS6&7

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony talks about PS3 and PS6&7

PS3 to use distributed computing and they mention possibly biotechnology by PS6 or PS7. They want to increase the power of PS3 1000 times that of PS2. My question is this, are these guys nuts? I don't want to plug in literally. That is too "thirteenth floor"ish for me.

Edit:whoops, sorry I forgot the link.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-866288.html

Last edited by s}{ammer; 03-22-02 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-22-02, 07:48 AM

Link?
Old 03-22-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wired, or maybe wired online had an article about this right around the launch of the Xbox and GC. Perhaps thats what he is refering to...

But yeah, Sony has some big plans. Can be viewed at as scary, or exciting. Maybe this is why Nintendo is more concerned with just games?

I really hope they can make the PS3 "1000 times" more powerful then the PS2. I won't hold my breath, they certainly didn't deliver with their "Emotion Engine". All those empty promises. Bah.
Old 03-22-02, 12:18 PM
Banned

Sony has already said that PS3 will be 1,000 times as powerful as the PS2. Woah. This fact has become even more real since IBM, which is working with Sony and Toshiba on the PS3 processor called the "Cell," announced in New Scientist magazine that they've created a processor clocked at 110 Ghz.
PS3
Old 03-22-02, 02:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm guessing this is a publicity stunt like all the promises of the PS2 that were never delivered as Jeff mentions. They will hype it up, spec it out like mad, make people hold out for it, and then drop the specs down. I'm surprised we haven't seen any articles lately about Osama bin Laden using the PS2 as a super computer to devise his acts of terror.
Old 03-22-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

biotechnology for ps6/7?

what are they gonna do? use cloning or create some dna playstation?
Old 03-22-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is basically public daydreaming on the part of some SCEA execs. They did this back when PS2 was in its early development stages as well. Throw around a bunch of buzzwords, get yourself some some press associating your company and product with leading edge tech. I bet Bill, Steve, and Robbie are kicking themselves for not having thought of it first.
Old 03-22-02, 07:04 PM
Banned

Alot of this news was originally released by IBM and Sony is just backing up their partner. Don't forget, IBM and Toshiba have large stakes in this too.
Old 03-22-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I heard that Sony was planning to release the PS2 with a hard drive and ethernet and call it the PS3. I heard it from a not-so-moronic best buy employee so take it for what it's worth (that probably totally erased any possible validity the statement carried, but oh well)... This BB employee seemed to have gotten the information from an insider press release from sony. Who knows... it certainly sounds like something they would do - and it would probably happen around the time they dropped the price of the current PS2. He said he saw the pictures and specs and everything. Maybe he was lying, but I don't think so. This actually sounds like something Sega would've done, but since Sony is only on their second console it seems like the time might be right for them to shoot themselves in the foot.
Old 03-22-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I heard that Sony was planning to release the PS2 with a hard drive and ethernet and call it the PS3. I heard it from a not-so-moronic best buy employee so take it for what it's worth (that probably totally erased any possible validity the statement carried, but oh well)... This BB employee seemed to have gotten the information from an insider press release from sony. Who knows... it certainly sounds like something they would do - and it would probably happen around the time they dropped the price of the current PS2. He said he saw the pictures and specs and everything. Maybe he was lying, but I don't think so. This actually sounds like something Sega would've done, but since Sony is only on their second console it seems like the time might be right for them to shoot themselves in the foot.
i heard it was going to be called the PS2.5 (also from a BB employee).
Old 03-22-02, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Trigger
That's a good one!

No, the PS3 is an actual new gaming system which is being developed by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba. It is possible that Sony might release the PS2 bundled with the HDD (hard drive) and ethernet/modem, but those products haven't been released in Japan yet, so it will be awhile before we see them state side.

I don't know how much I can trust a BB employee when most of them don't even know what is in their own store.

PS3
Old 03-22-02, 11:01 PM

Somebody hit their head prior to saying the PS3 would have a 110Ghz chip.

The Intel McKinley 4 & 5Ghz chips are the latest and greatest thing coming out later in the year and has major support from companies like Toshiba and IBM. Now if there was a so called 110Ghz chip in development, wouldn't you think that IBM and others would drop Intel like a bad habit?

I mean C'mon get back to reality. The McKinley chips are gonna cost between $7500- $10,000+ each because (of course they're new) they can only produce 40 at a time out of their dies compared to 180 at a time of P4's. This will bring the cost of the McKinley to $300 a piece to produce as compared to the $50 a piece for the P4's. And this is because the McKinley is the 2nd largest chip (464 sq. Millimeters) ever made.

I got some info from: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-828363.html

Just how much are they gonna sell this 110Ghz PS3 system for?
Either way your gonna have to buy a $1500 2ton A/C unit just to keep it cool.

Last edited by WOWZY; 03-22-02 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-22-02, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WOWZY

Just how much are they gonna sell this 110Ghz PS3 system for?
Either way your gonna have to buy a $1500 2ton A/C unit just to keep it cool.
They have 3 years to figure that out
Old 03-22-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by joshd2012

They have 3 years to figure that out
right ;p and this time you won't need a tv -- it displays it's own holograms in full 3d rendered beauty. ;p (and it runs on blood -- your blood).

Tuan Jim
Old 03-23-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tuan Jim
and it runs on blood -- your blood
Soylent PS2?
Old 03-23-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by BigDave

Soylent PS2?
No, more like Vampire PS3 -- you hook it up to a vein, and it slowly drains to feed the beast. Heck, you know Sony had to make a pact with the devil for this model ;p -- he wants his pound of flesh.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-23-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At some point development times for games gets to be insane. I mean, what good is a huge amount of power if you can't take the time to exploit most of it?
Old 03-24-02, 01:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

somebody should start a class action lawsuit against sony for falsely advertising
Old 03-24-02, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
somebody should start a class action lawsuit against sony for falsely advertising
What did they falsely advertise?
Old 03-24-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't. Didn't materially damage you in any way and the "advertising" wasn't done for the express purpose of deceiving customers. I'm a law idiot, but I think that's more or less right. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-02, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

Can't. Didn't materially damage you in any way and the "advertising" wasn't done for the express purpose of deceiving customers. I'm a law idiot, but I think that's more or less right. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm still curious as to what they falsly advertised?
Old 03-24-02, 05:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

they falsely advertise the PS2
Old 03-24-02, 06:34 PM
Banned

they falsely advertise the PS2
Ok, what part of the PS2 do they falsely advertise?
Old 03-24-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012

Ok, what part of the PS2 do they falsely advertise?
I was hoping someone would answer your Q's but I guess I'll have to...

Prior to the PS2 launch, well before hand, the hyped the hell out of thing. One day they would be claiming that it would be unable to be matched for years. The next day they would be releasing info how the goverment was worried that terriosts could use the PS2 to take over the world because it was so powerful.

Just junk like that. It wasn't really "advertising" in the form of commericals. However it a type of advertising.

Sony took down specs that were theoritcal, and never realized, and made the public and press really believe that it was all that. It wasn't.

Some people even believe this false hype put the dreamcast into an early grave. And many analysts believe that was Sony's intention. It's obvious that from the first year of the PS2 it offered little over the DC. (In fact less, no modem, no 4 player ports, etc.) I don't doubt that the PS2 is more powerful then a DC. However the PS2 offerings for a year were nothing over what the DC was capable of. So the idea here is this: Sony felt that customers would just go with the cheaper more established console over theirs, so they put the hype factory to work.

All of this is matter of specualtion, the earlier parts are pretty much fact. (The hyping)
Old 03-24-02, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

I was hoping someone would answer your Q's but I guess I'll have to...

Prior to the PS2 launch, well before hand, the hyped the hell out of thing. One day they would be claiming that it would be unable to be matched for years. The next day they would be releasing info how the goverment was worried that terriosts could use the PS2 to take over the world because it was so powerful.

Just junk like that. It wasn't really "advertising" in the form of commericals. However it a type of advertising.

Sony took down specs that were theoritcal, and never realized, and made the public and press really believe that it was all that. It wasn't.

Some people even believe this false hype put the dreamcast into an early grave. And many analysts believe that was Sony's intention. It's obvious that from the first year of the PS2 it offered little over the DC. (In fact less, no modem, no 4 player ports, etc.) I don't doubt that the PS2 is more powerful then a DC. However the PS2 offerings for a year were nothing over what the DC was capable of. So the idea here is this: Sony felt that customers would just go with the cheaper more established console over theirs, so they put the hype factory to work.

All of this is matter of specualtion, the earlier parts are pretty much fact. (The hyping)
See, I was confused. I thought that when IC_Freeze said that someone should start a class action lawsuit against Sony, that they had falsely advertised something. Now that it turns out it was just hype, I am even more confused as to why someone would think about they could file a lawsuit against Sony for that. Realistically, what Sony said was true. The PS2 won't beable to be match until their copyright rights run out. Matching being the key word meaning duplicate (GC and X-Box surpassed). It is true that the gov't was worried about foreign countries getting their hands on this technology, as they are about any computer technology out there now.

The only reason I pursued this topic was because I thought Sony was in the wrong and I had not heard about this. Turns out there are just some bitter people out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.