Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DELL: Just refuse it, or accept it?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate it when policy gets in the way.

I ordered a Dell 8200 about 5 days ago for about $1700. It "shipped" yesterday, even though it still says "in transit to local carrier" - meaning Dell still has it.

Today, that same system is $1650, but ALSO HAS A $250 REBATE AVAILABLE --- making it $1400.

I called and said, "can you cancel?" - no, it has been shipped.

"Can you pricematch" - no, cost difference must be > $50 (rebates don't count)

I said, what if I order another one at the lower price, then when the FIRST one arrives, just refuse the package (shipping last week was free). - yep, they'll credit my account "within 30 days"...

I'm probably headed toward the last option, but it seems strange to refuse a system, then receive the IDENTICAL system a few days later in order to get the "savings".... it's also a pain in the butt on both sides.

Seems like Dell's policies don't work right here.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-02, 12:41 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Dell does have a price protection policy although they don't prominently display it. I am not sure how they treat rebates and free shipping for the purpose of price protection, but you might want to check with them first before going through the trouble of double ordering.

While we don't have price guarantees or a price protections policy, we do realize that prices and components change very rapidly in this industry and as a concession we allow Home and Small Business customers to request a rebate within their first 30 days from the invoice date (or 14 days for a refurbished system) by contacting Dell's customer service at 800-624-9897, send an email to [email protected] or post a message on the Credit and Return forum of Delltalk. This rebate is usually the amount of the difference, although not always, as it's done on a exact component by exact component basis and as we may change vendors of some components from time to time, our cost may go up or down. The group responsible for processing the rebates will compare the price for which you were invoiced to the price from their most current price list. They compare exact part numbers to exact part numbers.

If the comparison results in a net amount over $50, you will be refunded this amount via the same method that you paid for the system (credit card, etc) usually within 10-15 business days. If you're leasing your system, the rebate amount will be applied to the back end of the lease.
If you are creating a quote via the Dell Store on our website to see if your system has decreased in price, please go to " print view " and compare the part numbers listed on your invoice to the part numbers listed on our website. Make sure all part numbers are identical. If they are not, it may be because it's a promotional item which would not apply to rebates.

You may only make this request once and it must be within 30 days from the date of the invoice. This information is valid for Dell USA Home Sales Division customers.
Old 03-22-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They told me that they don't honor rebates in price matches... but $250 is a whopping big rebate (over 10% of price)...