Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

House of the Dead III

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
House of the Dead III

OMG... what kind of move did they do??

Cell shading???

I dunno about this, it looks to cartoony. much different look.. lets see what turns out X-box exculsive.

will have a light-gun.
Old 03-20-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
ummmmmmmm....yeah
Old 03-20-02, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf

Okay now if anybody was going to create a game that looked like that I figured it would be good ol Capcom but Sega??? OMG. I've seen Sega do the cell shading with Jet Set Radio but with House of the Dead now?....::shakes head:: People have gotta realize these days that just cause the game is cell shaded doesn't mean it is gonna look good. House of the Dead 2 was an awesome shooter but this one just looks damn cartoonish with Capcomish looking characters you get to put bullets and shotgun shells into.

Really people if you think this game is gonna kick ass in the early stages just cause it has Sega slapped on it then wait until there is actual footage of this game instead of just screen shots. Heed my words my minions.
Old 03-20-02, 10:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think it looks awesome.
Old 03-20-02, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I think it looks awesome.
Keyword being "looks". As we all know looks are not everything in a game. I want to know how the game play is...I know it's a point and click shooter like any other console shooter. But I wanna see the game in action. I don't want it to be like State of Emergency or Wreckless and just end up looking nice and just have it be so repetitive.
Old 03-20-02, 11:08 PM

Cause we know all shooting games are the epitome of creativity!

Old 03-20-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooooh... How long 'till we get a Typing of the Dead version of this one?
Old 03-20-02, 11:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Psyko Gamer

Keyword being "looks". As we all know looks are not everything in a game. I want to know how the game play is...I know it's a point and click shooter like any other console shooter. But I wanna see the game in action. I don't want it to be like State of Emergency or Wreckless and just end up looking nice and just have it be so repetitive.

I wouldn't expect it to be any different than the first two, gameplay-wise.
Old 03-20-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMHO, it's terrible for HOD. One of the coolest aspects of the HOD series was the gritty, super-detailed, and sombre visual style. Even some seriously anti-Sega friends of mine remarked on how cool the HOD games looked. This new cartoony style makes it look like a friggin' kids game.

I wish this were an offshoot game like "House of the Dead side story: House of Fisher Price" or something. Damn, they probably could've done some incredible things using the X-Box/PS2 if they had kept up the previous visual style.
Old 03-21-02, 12:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Looks like we have the same fallout here as Celda. Personally, I'm a fan of Cel-shading technique as I love cartoons and think it's awesome to actually play a video game and feel like I'm in one. It's like playing Dragon's Lair and actually controlling the game. Imagine playing a cel-version of Dungeons and Dragons the Saturday morning cartoon (did I just hear kvrdave go *shwing*?) and having it look identical to the show and play great. Sigh... I guess changing a franchise game like Zelda or HOD to cel-shading is a way to piss over fans, but at least they are trying something different.
Old 03-21-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I can't really believe that they went this route. it is a complete 180 turn from the rest of the house of the deads. the others really got me in because of the dark look aswell. this is just so completely different.

the magazine I saw this in first summed it up..

"those who are afraid of Rugrats will defently be scared by these monsters"

they look to cartoonish to be zombies and I love cartoons.. this is just not what i was expecting from House of the dead III.
Old 03-21-02, 01:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Question to anyone who doesn't like it. What are your thoughts on Celda?
Old 03-21-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
those screenshots have been floating around for months. I'm actually pretty surprised that nobody's commented on them yet. Thought you - Jack of all people would have seen them before now.

I'm unsure personally, it could either be really good or really bad. There's not really any middle-ground ;p like celda.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-21-02, 07:50 AM

I think it's an odd direction to take for the series , but I'll probably get it anyway.

Of course, it all depends on if there's a light gun coming for the X-Box.

-Jason
Old 03-21-02, 02:29 PM
Retired

I hate it, as I hate cel shading period. As for Zelda, I feel the same way. I was extremely dissapointed when the rumors of scrapping "Celda" turned out to be false. I'll still by Celda as I love the gameplay of the Zelda series, but I'm not nearly as excited as I would have been if they reverted to the graphical style of the first movie with Link fighting Ganondorf.

In the end it's the gameplay that matters. I'll get Celda as I love the series. If I had an X-box I'd pass on even playing HOD3 because of the new look. I wouldn't buy it, or any lightgun game anyway though because IMO they simply have no replay value and get old very fast.
Old 03-21-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I keep hearing this term "CEL SHADING" but no one has realy explained it to me.

What is it? What's the difference? Obviously it's a big difference.
Old 03-21-02, 08:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I keep hearing this term "CEL SHADING" but no one has realy explained it to me.

What is it? What's the difference? Obviously it's a big difference.

It's all in the look and style of the game. I'm not familiar with all the technology of it, but basically instead of taking a polygon and shading and lighting it and making it look realistic (think Halo), they make it very smooth and colorful. Basically it's the look of Jet Grind Radio.
Old 03-22-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's the return of 2-D! Everything is coming full-circle in videogames, because 3-D sucks, and everyone is realizing that now. Who wants to play a videogame that looks like real life? I see real life everyday!

Oh...and the time on both those screens is 42. Those of you who know 42 know what's going on...
Old 03-22-02, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by naitram
It's the return of 2-D! Everything is coming full-circle in videogames, because 3-D sucks, and everyone is realizing that now. Who wants to play a videogame that looks like real life? I see real life everyday!

Oh...and the time on both those screens is 42. Those of you who know 42 know what's going on...

2-d games were great when done right (i.e. street fighter II and up) but so was 3-d games if done well. (i.e. soul calibur) but your comment about "who wants to play a videogame that looks like real life? uh.... in real life do I go out with a light gun and shoot people in the head thinking they are zombies? no, why? because that would be very stupid. Video games are an outlet. and if they are more creative and realistic, then they can aswell be fun. then again... "why do I want to play a video game in 2-d? I see 2-D in cartoons all the time"

its not 2-d, its flat 3-d my friend. its cell shaded, but still 3-d.
Old 03-22-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They made a point...

I used to think that the video industries would always make realistic video games (life like) but now I'm getting a little tired but not bored. I want more cel shading like jet Grind or the upcoming house of the death 3 for a change. I want 3D but with 2D animation like powerstone 2 or techromancer. This type of games are owesome and they should make more like this.
Old 03-22-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't mind 3-D graphics which try to mimic the visual style of the best 2-D art. I would love to see the day Capcom makes a 3-D fighter that looks as cool and detailed as idiosyncratic as their 2-D games, but in full 3D. They're sure trying.

But I think the issue here is specifically cel-shading on the House of the Dead series. It seems like it will alter one of the best aspects of the series so far. If they want to make a different shooter with cel-shading, then go for it. But right now it feels like a waste of a good opportunity (ie, to see them try HOD's super-realistic style on a next gen machine).
Old 03-22-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a HUGE fan of the games. (First DC game I bought) Personally I love the realistic look more. BUT I havn't seen this in action. This is one of the titles that is keeping me from selling my xbox yet. I really hope it stacks up, but its a risky move.

I'm not sure what to think of the new Zelda game. The producer (shiggy) is a little more tried and true. The main thing however is the fact that you can see the zelda universe being a cartoon. Where as Zombies and gore... just more difficult to pull off.

I have faith in Sega. It should be good.
Old 03-24-02, 09:04 PM

dear me, the HotD games have come to be the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?
Old 03-30-02, 05:49 PM

I personallly don't like the look of the new HOTD, I love this game and it was one of the reasons that swayed me to Xbox but know I think I will just go and buy a Dreamcast and be happy with HOTD on that system.
Old 03-30-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

-thumbsdown-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.