Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Country singers during a tribute CD to ZZ Top!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Country singers during a tribute CD to ZZ Top!

Old 03-20-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Country Stars 'Dress' Up ZZ Top Tribute
From billboard.com

Brooks & Dunn, Willie Nelson, and Alan Jackson are among those paying tribute to long-haired Texas trio ZZ Top on the upcoming RCA album "Sharp Dressed Men," a 15-track country homage to the veteran group. Set for an April 30 release, the 67-minute album also features contributions from such honky-tonkers as Trace Adkins, Tracy Byrd, and Dwight Yoakam.

The album includes Brooks & Dunn's take on "Rough Boy," while Adkins tackles the pool-hall staple "Legs," which, at No. 8, is ZZ Top's highest-charting single on The Billboard Hot 100. Country man of the moment Jackson handles "Sure Got Cold After the Rain Fell" from ZZ Top's 1972 sophomore effort, "Rio Grande Mud." A spokesperson says the label has yet to pick a single.

ZZ Top is currently at work on a new album, which the spokesperson says is due for an October release. The band has scored six top-10 albums, with 1985's "Afterburner" reaching a high of No. 4. The band's breakthrough came with 1983's "Eliminator," which contained "Legs" and "Sharp Dressed Man," the latter of which is covered here by Brad Paisley.

To hype the album, ZZ Top has taped an episode of CMT's "Crossroads," which features a handful of collaborations with Brooks & Dunn. The show debuts on CMT April 21 at 8 p.m. EST.

Here is the tracklist for "Sharp Dressed Men," in alphabetical order:

Trace Adkins, "Legs"
Brooks & Dunn, "Rough Boy"
Tracy Byrd, "La Grange"
Kenny Chesney, "Tush"
Andy Griggs, "I Need You Tonight"
Alan Jackson, "Sure Got Cold After the Rain Fell"
Lonestar, "Gimme All Your Lovin'"
Montgomery Gentry, "Just Got Paid"
Willie Nelson, "She Loves My Automobile"
Brad Paisley, "Sharp Dressed Man"
Phil Vassar, "I Thank You"
The Warren Brothers, "Cheap Sunglasses"
Hank Williams, Jr., "Jesus Just Left Chicago/Waiting for the Bus" (medley)
Hank Williams III, "Fearless Boogie"
Dwight Yoakam, "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"
Old 04-26-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

COMES OUT TUESDAY 4/30!
Old 04-26-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This looks very scary. Except for Dwight Yoakam... that I would like to hear (he's done some great covers already)
Old 04-27-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Hank Jr. did a cool version of LaGrange, but this collection looks pretty bad.

Why would country acts do a 'tribute' to a band that has had zero influence on them? That would be like N*Sync appearing on a Rush tribute album.
Old 04-28-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
Why would country acts do a 'tribute' to a band that has had zero influence on them?
I think ZZ Top has had more of an influence on Country music than on Rock music. Very much like the Eagles, it was defined as Southern Rock and most of the artists in Country music today grew up listening to ZZ Top, the Eagles, Skynerd as well as Ernest Tubbs and Hank Williams.

I would be impressed if Motley Crue or Blink 182 would say that ZZ Top influenced them.
Old 04-28-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

POWERBOMB, I couldn't have said it any better. Also I think country has a little bit of an effect on those artists also. I mean if it wasn't for Travis Tritt getting the Eagles to appear in his video for the remake of Take It Easy they may have not patched things up as quick as they did and went out on one of the biggest tours of 1994.