Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just got a Toshiba 50HX81 - What Next?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone point me to a "new user" setup guide so I can get my Toshiba 50HX81 working great with my system.

I have a Toshiba 5700 DVD player - and the picture quality on the TV out of the box is OK, not fantastic.

What steps can I do on my own to tweak the picture?
Old 03-20-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First thing to do is lower the contrast!!! Lower it to around 45 or so. Do this now, not tomorrow, not next week (the TV is shipped with contrast set to "torch mode")

Then obtain a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and run through your picture settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, and tint). When making your picture setting changes, select Movie under preferences (you will see Sports, Standard, Movie, and Preferences) to software-disable SVM. When you save the settings, save as Preference, and the settings will be retained

After a few hours use, do a 9 pt convergence (manual has instructions). Don't bother with the automatic touch-focus - it is useless

After about 100 hours usage, do the 56-point convergence. Once you have done 56-pt, do not do a 9-point again, always do the 56-pt. This is also a good time to perform the whole series of tweaks, such as electrostatic and mechanical focus, overscan, and geometry, in addition to the 56-pt convergence. If you do elec & mech focus, you should retweak your picture settings, as this typically changes contrast et al

Visit www.hometheaterspot.com and check out the Toshiba forum and the Toshiba tweaks forum for full instructions on doing the above. It all seems pretty complicated, but it's actually quite easy to do these if you are technically inclined. To do your geometry and convergence, you might want to consider obtaining a convergence grid template - there is a print shop in Knoxville TN which sells these, they run about $50 inc. shipping for the Tosh 50h/hx81 models. Alternatively, you can use string, but the grid template is more accurate

To obtain a copy of the service manual, follow this link: http://www.john-oliver.net/video/50H81.pdf

Here's another useful resource: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

BTW, if you go into the service menu, make sure that you write down the current parameters before making any changes!!! If you think you have screwed up, power off the TV to void the changes

And if this is all too intimidating, there is always ISF calibration, which can run anywhere from $250-1000

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 03-20-02 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-20-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toshiba tweaks

Note: on the h/hx81 models, the service menu does not contain the VLIN and TRAP parameters. VLIN is actually LIN, there is no TRAP

If you decide to do elec focus: remove the front speaker grille, then unscrew the big panel you see. Down to the lower right, you will see 2 rows of knobs after removing the panel. DO NOT TOUCH THE TOP ROW OF KNOBS! You will use the bottom row of knobs to adjust the elec focus, the order corresponds to the lens order (red, green, blue)

Toshiba RPTV convergence grid templates:

AEC Print Shop
201 Center Park Drive
Suite 1150
Knoxville, TN 37922

Phone: 865-966-9600
Fax: 865-966-7216
E-mail: [email protected]

Ask for Lisa at AEC Print Shop.