Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Victorious Boxers for the PS2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-19-02, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone played this game? What did you think? I was in Blockbuster checking out their selection of games for sale since they're running a buy 2, get 1 free promotion and came across this title. It looks interesting and I haven't played a boxing game since the first Knockout Kings. If you've played it, please let me know!
Old 03-19-02, 05:34 PM
Banned

Very, very different type of game than most people are accustomed to. I have heard that there is no power or health bars. It is a very strange game and would recommend you buy any boxing game except this one. It was very popular in Japan, but here in the states it bombed because of its abnormal play for a boxing game. In short... stay away
Old 03-19-02, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Just because a game doesn't sell it doesn't mean it is terrible.

If you are a fan of boxing, you can't go wrong with VB. I've played it, and the controls are 180 degrees from abnormal. They give you great control of your fighter, as barely pushing forward on the stick leans your fighter forward, and using this, you can sway and swing around and dodge punches. And if you don't like how it is controlled by subtle analog movements, you can set a button to be held down enabling you to sway. Momentum plays a big factor as well. If you are stepping into a punch and cleanly catch a guy wide open, you can knock him out with one punch, just as in real life.

As far as the no power and stamina, you gauge how your fighter is doing based on how he controls and by visuals. Unlike Knockout Kings 2002, you can't throw 400 punches per round and have 100% stamina. If you go all out, you will be worn down and will then get slapped around.

Graphically, it doesn't have real fighters, and is cartoonish in look, but that doesn't bother me at all. The sound is a little lacking, but basically par for the course for boxing games. As far as options, you can configure your own controls which is a big help, and one thing VB has on KOK2002.

As far as modes, there isn't a create a player, but there is a lengthy and challenging career mode. And after every fighter you beat, you unlock him. There are 44 boxers to unlock in all, each with different styles. Some guys are short, quick and punch happy, while there are also slow powerful guys. Each boxer has a weakness and if you study his moves, you can effectively wear him down.

All in all, if you want the closest realistic version of boxing, VB is it. In comparison to KOK2002, this is one step ahead.
Old 03-19-02, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ZootedGranny
Just because a game doesn't sell it doesn't mean it is terrible.

If you are a fan of boxing, you can't go wrong with VB. I've played it, and the controls are 180 degrees from abnormal. They give you great control of your fighter, as barely pushing forward on the stick leans your fighter forward, and using this, you can sway and swing around and dodge punches. And if you don't like how it is controlled by subtle analog movements, you can set a button to be held down enabling you to sway. Momentum plays a big factor as well. If you are stepping into a punch and cleanly catch a guy wide open, you can knock him out with one punch, just as in real life.

As far as the no power and stamina, you gauge how your fighter is doing based on how he controls and by visuals. Unlike Knockout Kings 2002, you can't throw 400 punches per round and have 100% stamina. If you go all out, you will be worn down and will then get slapped around.

Graphically, it doesn't have real fighters, and is cartoonish in look, but that doesn't bother me at all. The sound is a little lacking, but basically par for the course for boxing games. As far as options, you can configure your own controls which is a big help, and one thing VB has on KOK2002.

As far as modes, there isn't a create a player, but there is a lengthy and challenging career mode. And after every fighter you beat, you unlock him. There are 44 boxers to unlock in all, each with different styles. Some guys are short, quick and punch happy, while there are also slow powerful guys. Each boxer has a weakness and if you study his moves, you can effectively wear him down.

All in all, if you want the closest realistic version of boxing, VB is it. In comparison to KOK2002, this is one step ahead.
But was I wrong about it being different from the "normal" boxing game? Cause, thats all i said.
Old 03-19-02, 10:46 PM
-x-

Originally posted by ZootedGranny

All in all, if you want the closest realistic version of boxing, VB is it.
I agree with ZootedGranny 100 percent. I bought this game when it was released and still play it on a regular basis. It's a very fun game to play alone or with friends. I would suggest this game to any boxing fan. DO NOT STAY AWAY
Old 03-19-02, 10:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by joshd2012

But was I wrong about it being different from the "normal" boxing game? Cause, thats all i said.
Well not really right nor wrong. It's not different from any other boxing game out, except it utilizes analog more. It'll take 5 minutes to get used to the analog stick moevement. To say it is abnormal isn't totally wrong, but not entirely correct either.
Old 03-20-02, 08:42 AM

I too think it's by far the best boxing game out, i got it used from ebay for 35.00, I read a few previews and a couple of reviews and I just was'nt willing to pay full price so i got it used, and let me tell you it's well worth the full price.
first you have to hang in there with it, don't put it down when you start to get frustrated, keep at it, and if you go in thinking it's a button masher you will soon find yourself getting pummeled, it's all about what boxing is about, timing, saving your strenght, working the ring and so on, not some arcade lucky punches crap that put you on the mat when you clearly have the upper hand, no health bars and no clock on the screen makes for a better experience, seeing your boxers movements slow down and looking tired, tells you it's time to work the ring and save your strenght.
yes it could could have been a little deeper, maybe better sound some talk from the corner and crowd but these few cons are greatly outweighed by the pros.
I think it was psm who gave it the best game your not playing award, definitley a sleeper title game.
Don't let the cartoonish look keep you away, if your a boxing fan it's a no brainer, get this game!

Last edited by psxfan2; 03-20-02 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-20-02, 03:37 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion...I went ahead and picked it up along with SSX Tricky and Devil May Cry. I played it for about 45 minutes, and I must say that I really like it! I won my first three matches (sparring, pro-test, and first professional fight) by knockouts, but I think I got lucky with the last one. My opponent started pummeling me from the onset. I ducked the last of a flurry of punches and caught him with a stiff uppercut that floored him. After he got up, I gave him a taste of his own medicine and gave him a flurry of punches which resulted in a TKO. I stopped at that point because I: a) hadn't read the instruction book yet and b) knew that things would only get harder from that point on.