Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Shuts down PS2 at German Technology show

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Shuts down PS2 at German Technology show

here is the story. i thought it was sort of funny.

story
Old 03-18-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monopoly.
Old 03-18-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by victant
Monopoly.
I think I'll build a hotel on Park Place.

"Oh, are you playing?"

Playing what?
Old 03-18-02, 03:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

I know it's a petty thing, but MS had every right to complain if PS2 was in violation of the rules, which they were. I'm confused about the writer, he seems to think MS was breaking the rules as well but the way it's written, they actually weren't. The rules are against hands-on, playable demos, which Sony was doing. MS on the other hand was "demonstrating the Xbox to show-goers", which implies a hands-off approach.
Old 03-18-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WAAAAA! WAAAAA! Sony's booth is more impressive than ours! WAAAAA!
Old 03-18-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they did say though that sony had been doing the same thing for 3 years, until MS entered the mix.
Old 03-18-02, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I know it's a petty thing, but MS had every right to complain if PS2 was in violation of the rules, which they were. I'm confused about the writer, he seems to think MS was breaking the rules as well but the way it's written, they actually weren't. The rules are against hands-on, playable demos, which Sony was doing. MS on the other hand was "demonstrating the Xbox to show-goers", which implies a hands-off approach.
It is one of those rules which are broken and ignored until someone complains. MS is just whinning.
Old 03-18-02, 06:09 PM
Shawn

Sony would have done the same thing, IMO. They're competing companies. Each is trying to get the upper hand any way possible. Sure, it can be perceived as whining but MS is just using the rules to their advantage (IMO). Anyone disagree?

- Shawn
Old 03-18-02, 07:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

exactly, Sony is just as bad as MS, both don't have much class and integrity as Nintendo or Sega
Old 03-18-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only problem with this is...

That M$ lied about doing it. If you want to cry about a stupid rule being broken then at least admit to it when asked. It was bad PR to lie and then have the truth come out after the fact, it just shows that M$ will do anything and say anything they wish.
Old 03-18-02, 08:02 PM

...a huge multinational American company puts the screws to a huge multinational Japanese company....this is business in the 21st century and I feel sorrow for none of them. I like quality games on quality systems and the better the competition the better they have to be to succeed. I welcome MS in the business because someone has to keep Sony and the PS2 on its toes and it ain't gonna be Nintendo.

...oh, and don't decieve yourself that Nintendo is all warm and cuddly either, they are as fierce a competitor as anyone and would gladly drive MS and Sony into the ground if they had the muscle or the money. The virtual monopoly that the big N has on the handheld videogame market was not by accident and circumstance alone.

The only one that leaves me with a warm fuzzy is Sega, and that is just nostalga...
Old 03-18-02, 08:59 PM

I think they left out part of the story.

My guess is when the Xbox team saw what Fony was doing they gave the signal to the drivers to back the Xbox semis into the building to start setting up the inflatable Odyssey Dome.

Then Fony said "Uncle" and turned off the two 19" Trinitrons they had running.
Old 03-18-02, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zinc
The only one that leaves me with a warm fuzzy is Sega, and that is just nostalga...
Yeah, cause they didn't screw over their followers by releasing grossy unsupported consoles. Wait, they did.

EDIT: Just looked at GameSpot, they turned the story around and made Sony look like the bad guy. For Shame!

Last edited by joshd2012; 03-18-02 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-19-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not surprised. Microsoft will do anything to win.

One of the big reasons why I just can not pull the trigger on an Xbox.

Now the GC I am thinking about. I may get one in time for the XMas games . I am looking forward to the GC game announcements at E3.
Old 03-19-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zinc
That's the same feeling I'm going to have in a few years (I'll give it 3) when Bill and his box sink! Maybe I'll pick one up on eBay for 60 bucks then. I just can't wait till E3.

-k
###
Old 03-19-02, 01:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

That's the same feeling I'm going to have in a few years (I'll give it 3) when Bill and his box sink! Maybe I'll pick one up on eBay for 60 bucks then. I just can't wait till E3.

-k
###
Old 03-19-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Another article on this (on teamxbox.com) mentioned that MS was only one of a number of companies complaining about Sony's actions.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-19-02, 07:47 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by IC_Freeze
both don't have much class and integrity as Nintendo or Sega
Old 03-20-02, 02:31 PM

Try to think of it this way folks...

You are the new kid on the block for consoles (MS). You read the rules for the show, and see that there are not any playable demo units allowed. You, therefore, naively do not bring any playable demo units. Once you arrive, Sony does have playable PS2 demo units set up... Would you question the officials about this rule?

C'mon folks... You can be anti-MS if you want, but they didn't do anything wrong... Sony did.

Anyhow, it wasn't ONLY MS that complained either...
Old 03-20-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may look like MS was just being a cry baby, but it does make sense. You would bring up the rules if you didn't know you could bring playable demos on the floor and another person does as it is an unwritten rule to break.
Old 03-20-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joshd2012

EDIT: Just looked at GameSpot, they turned the story around and made Sony look like the bad guy. For Shame!
Huh? The "bad guy?" This isn't about companies screwing over consumers, they're just cat fighting at a technology show.
Old 03-20-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Microsoft was right on this one, the rules said that you can't bring playble demos and for some reason they let Sony do it for 3 years.....not sure how no one noticed (it seems kind of strange to me to just show the gaming systems, I'd want to play them unless the game was too early in development to actually play, but I guess its the nature of that particular show). What I don't get is why they lied about not informing the the show organizers when they were asked, there's no shame in that is there, because when you lie it just doesn't look good. I probably don't understand sales reps enough to know why. Anyway this is pretty insignificant but its still a funny story, the comment is funny.
Old 03-21-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
whole thread =