Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

prog.scan & hdtv ready ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

prog.scan & hdtv ready ?

Old 03-17-02, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prog.scan & hdtv ready ?

hello all! plz help! i have read (many times) that if your hdrdytv has a line doubler,that the pic quality is just as good w/a regular dvd plyr as w/a prog dvd plyr-one of the devices line doubler cancels out the other-is this true? to the truly informed-i ask your opinion-is the diff that much-or barely noticible? i have researched this for months,but really want the opinion of someone that has experienced this,at home-in a side by side comparison.(or otherwise) i thank u all in advance for your time and helpfull honesty. thx agn jefff!
Old 03-17-02, 08:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I have a HDTV that is generally acknowledged as having about the best built-in line-doubler there is, the Pioneer Elite 510. The newer 520 may be a bit better, that's being debated.

As sources to this HDTV I use both a non-progressive Sony player and a progressive home theater computer. When you put progressive into an HDTV it bypasses the line-doubler section. When you put non-progressive into an HDTV it uses its line-doubler. The set automatically senses this and does the switching.

The picture on my Pioneer is a bit better using the HTPC with its progressive output, but not that much. You really have to be looking for differences between both types of input. But as I understand it, that is pretty much only the case for Pioneer Elite sets with their superior line-doubler. All other brands have their picture improved substantially by using a progressive player over a non-progressive unless you have a truly awful progressive section in your player (which is rare).
Old 03-18-02, 03:03 AM

prog.scan & hdtv ready ?

Just purchaed a new 55inch hdtv 16x9 with the pani rv-31 & rv-56(which is prog. scan).
1st test Toy Story, WOW! stunning almost looking like a 3-D picture. Both players displayed excellent pics. The line doubler in my set saved me $60.00
(I hate standing in the return line at BB, takes forever).
Old 03-18-02, 04:24 AM

I'd like to chime in with a question...

So essentially, the line-doubler in a TV acts as sort of like a built in replacement for a progressive scan DVD player? I realize the quality of the line doubled image probably won't be as good as the progressive counterpart, but is that what it basically does?

Also, does the line doubler do line doubling for DVD playback only? Or broadcast TV as well?

thanks.....I'm outta here
Old 03-18-02, 10:16 AM

thx x!

thanx x! dts-are u saying that u noticed no diff in pic qaulity btwn the 31 & 56 so u kept the 31 and the 60.00 u saved was the diff in cost btwn the 2 ? i am trying to avoid buying a prog scan player just to compare,then have to return. thx again!
Old 03-18-02, 10:18 AM
mdX

Originally posted by DVD-Justin
So essentially, the line-doubler in a TV acts as sort of like a built in replacement for a progressive scan DVD player? I realize the quality of the line doubled image probably won't be as good as the progressive counterpart, but is that what it basically does?

Also, does the line doubler do line doubling for DVD playback only? Or broadcast TV as well?
a "line doubler" converts an interlaced video signal to a progressive one. It may also have scaling functions as well. Older sets have simple line doublers which just blend two fields together. While this works fine for video-based sources (30fps), it's not optimal for film-based ones(24fps). (good) Progressive scan DVD players have modes optimized for both film and video, and can detect which one to use (unless the content is improperly flagged). Some newer HD-ready sets (like X's pioneer elite) also have a film mode (commonly referred to as reverse 3:2 pulldown detection), but for DVDs its most often better done by the player since it can use the flags encoded in the MPEG video stream, rather than looking at the fields and trying to determine film/video from that.

Line doubling is usually enabled for all non-progressive inputs on a set, and the tuner. I don't know of any HD-ready sets that display an interlaced signal unless it is 1080i (or is scaled to 1080i)
Old 03-18-02, 02:34 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Mitsu 47809 and originally used a Tosh SD1600 and I then upgraded to a RP56 and there was a difference. Casual everyday viewers probably would not notice the difference but I did. Every thing was just a little bit sharper and more clean.
Old 03-19-02, 07:49 PM

more opinions plz! and poss. a reply to my ? to dts-cheers!
Old 03-24-02, 06:15 AM

etrigan. yes that's what I mean, I took back the pani 56. After several side by side comparisons I couldn't tell the difference.