Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Oz: Complete First Season

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-17-02, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc?Nudity? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?

Your thoughts/feelings?
Old 03-17-02, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

don't have it so i don't know about the dvd. but Oz is good. I still haven't made up if i'll buy it or not. I really enjoyed maybe the 1 to 3rd season but i don't really think i have much interest to rewatch them for the cost. as far as nudity, lol, unless you want to see a lot of full frontal male shots as well as prison rape look eslewhere. i think off hand two different females show their breasts but only 1 in the first season. as much as i like Oz, i can't help but feel it's a soap opera just with murders, drugs and rapes, but in the end it's still a soap opera for guys.
Old 03-17-02, 11:18 PM

HBO

OZ is great. I haven't gotten the DVD yey but will be. I found OZ to take second place only o the Sopranos! It is a very interesting series with alot of true incidents and observations, I hope the deleted scenes, and commentary are up to par!!!
Old 03-18-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haha I wouldn't buy a DVD about a male prison for the nudity Aaron Amos
Old 03-19-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So far I've seen the 1st two eps and the pic quality is very good...about what I remember it five years ago. THe 5.1 audio is adequate.

I really like the case, though. It's done almost Sopranos style, but with 3 discs. Unlike the flimsy Larry Sanders case, the entire case is one sturdy piece and looks great!
Old 03-21-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally posted by Foole
I really like the case, though. It's done almost Sopranos style, but with 3 discs. Unlike the flimsy Larry Sanders case, the entire case is one sturdy piece and looks great!

My roommate got this, and I agree about the case. This is probably the most well-done multidisk case that I have seen. I wish they would do a case like this for Sopranos (not to mention Larry Sanders).
Old 03-22-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be reviewing this for the DVDTalk reviews section. It's sitting at home right now and, yes, the case is very nice (although the cover should just say "OZ" and have the picture).
Old 03-22-02, 01:54 PM

I just started watching Oz at the start of the recently completed fifth season and was immediately hooked. So, obviously, I rushed out and picked this up.

As in all TV series, it takes a while to pick up while the backstory is shown - but once it does, it does with a vengeance. Sure, the production and characterizations are more fleshed out in later seasons, but this is simply great television.

And the season finale is a barnburner!! Amazing...
Old 03-23-02, 05:56 PM

I just picked this up today and from what I've seen so far I love it. I'm a faithful fan of OZ (which is hard to do being in Canada..we have to wait months for new seasons to air up here unless you have satellite and get HBO), and I think season 1 could be the best. It's nice to finally see them as they were intended with no commercial breaks (since Showcase adds commercials to every episode).

Anyway, so far I've watched the first two episodes with and without commentaries. I really enjoyed the commentaries (only on the first two episodes) with Tom Fontana and Lee Tergeson (Beecher). There are few pauses and the two have a good back and forth throughout. At the end of the second I was wishing that all episodes had commentary but I suppose they're saving some of it for the second season, since the commentaries are more about making Oz in general than scene specific about what's going on in that episode.

Another nice feature is that each episode contains the 'Previously on OZ' and "Next time on OZ' , but you are not forced to watch them if you don't want to.

There are deleted scenes on the third disc but I have yet to watch them.

If you're a fan of Oz you've got to pick this up. If you've never seen Oz before and are curious, you might want to rent the first disc first to see if it's your type of show.