Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Grade Wanted: Homicidal (1961)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-16-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of getting Homicidal (1961) on DVD and I wonder how good is it? I am not interested in an long review, since they usually gives me preconceived notions. Thus, I would like to get a grade on it.

Thanks!

DVD SMURF
Old 03-16-02, 12:55 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
This must be the classic William Castle flick. I haven't seen the DVD, but love the movie. Then again, I love all of Castle's films.
Not what you're looking for, but my .02 nonetheless.
Old 03-18-02, 05:34 PM

According to this thread it's full frame. Whether this is the OAR or not I have no idea, but it's something to consider.
Old 03-18-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Dvdreview.com, Homicidal is "Restored and presented in its original fullscreen video":

Three new titles are on the way from director William Castle

December 31, 2001

Famed horror director William Castle is getting new exposure as three of his films head to DVD; Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus and Straight-Jacket are coming this March.
"Homicidal" takes place in the small town of Solvang. There's a killer on the loose, and a bizarre household may hold the key to murder. Nurse Emily takes care of her husband Warren's childhood guardian, a wheelchair bound stroke victim. But this nurse's bedside manner is to die for. As Warren's half-sister closes in on the truth, she uncovers a town's most chilling mystery.and her family's secret.
Restored and presented in its original fullscreen video and monaural sound, the new DVD contains theatrical trailers and the featurette William Castle and Homicidal.
Desperate to retrieve a winning lottery ticket, a greedy baron unearths his father's corpse in "Mr. Sardonicus". An enormous jackpot is his reward, but not without a price: his face is frozen permanently into a hideous grin. He enlists his fiendish one-eyed servant to help him lift this horrible curse, but their schemes fail. Finally, he turns to a noted neurosurgeon, and his wife's former lover, to cure him.
A new making-of featurette, and theatrical trailers come on the disc along with the film presented in anamorphic widescreen with its original mono sound.
Finally, in "Straight-Jacket" Lucy Harbin has been in an asylum for 20 years after axing her husband and his mistress during a crime of passion, witnessed by her young daughter, Carol. While trying to renew ties with Carol, who is now a young woman about to be married, heads begin to roll again. Is Lucy repeating her past?
Coming with an anamorphic widescreen transfer and mono soundtrack, "Straight-Jacket" comes with the featurette "Battle-Axe: Making of 'Strait-Jacket'", a screen tests of the wardrobe and make-up test for Joan Crawford, and the axe test.
March 12th will see the release of all three Castle classics priced at $24.95 each.
Old 03-19-02, 12:17 AM

Homicidal is definitely worth getting!!!

And yes, it is full screen the way the OAR was. STRAIGHTJACKET is matted to 1.85 - but it looks great also. I'd rather have STRAIGHTJACKET not matted anyways - I think it would look a little claustrophopic. Although there is a HOMICIDAL featurette on the disc as well as other Castle trailers, the trailer for the film itself is nowhere to be found - I think it was in really sad shape. Clips of it are part of the featurette. If you are a fan of this flick like I am - run out and get it. It's a great transfer.