Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Enemy at the Gates Review Wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-02, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 20 $ gift certificate for Best Buy, and Enemy at the Gates is a DVD I'm considering. I'm a fan of Jude Law's work, and I like World War 2 films, I wanted to get opinions of the film. Is it engaging, with re-watchability? What films would it be comparable to? How's the acting?

Also wanted to know about the DVD picture and extras quality.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Enemy at the Gates
2001 Paramount Pictures
R
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
5.1 Dolby Digital
Starring: Jude Law, Joseph Fiennes, Rachel Weisz, Bob Hoskins, Ed Harris
Director: Jean-Jacques Annaud

Here’s a film that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on in DVD and the wait was worth it. In my opinion this film is one of the best war films of the last decade if not longer. While not as good as Saving Private Ryan and just under The Thin Red Line this film succeeds on many levels, not to mention that I’m a sucker for sniper films. Following the true events during WWII, Enemy at the Gates is about Vassili Zaitsev a sniper in Russia’s army who after meeting a political officer under unfortunate circumstances, becomes propelled into Soviet fame as he dispatches countless Nazi’s with his rifle. Of course the Nazi’s are not as happy about this so they send in their top marksmen to tale care of this. What ensues is a standoff that had two countries total attention despite all that was happening around them. I’ll admit there was some aspects of this film that I think are a bit of a stretch but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

The widescreen transfer is quite good and almost demo material. The only faults I could find were there was a tad bit of softness to the image at times and I did notice a bit of compression artifacts here and there but neither of these things was too distracting. Color was very bold and at times jumped off the screen. Detail for the most part was very good and I was very impressed with the scenes in the snow. For some reason on DVD these scenes always really impress me. I noticed no edge enhancement, and blacks were rock solid. A fine job, 4.2 out of 5.

The audio side is demo quality though. While not as impressive as Saving Private Ryan it has a wonderfully recorded audio track utilizing all channels to their fullest. The front soundstage is wide and really comes to like in the action sequences. Surrounds are used extensively throughout with a directional assault as well as an enveloping atmospheric effect. The LFE track is quite lively and is further helped by my bass shakers offering that oomph that really puts you in the film. Dialogue is well recorded with a clean, natural quality. An excellent track, 4.7 out of 5.

The extras presented are mostly advertising spoofs. The two featurettes are mainly long play commercials with cast interviews that are simply actors praising actors. The only real good feature is the deleted scenes, which offer a bit more of the film and story. The theatrical trailer is also included.

compliments of another....
Old 03-16-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enemy at the Gates is one of my favorite DVDs out of around 230 that I own. The above review pretty much says it all. I highly recommend this one. A very well done film about the German invasion of Stalingrad, and a Russian sniper that the media turned into a national hero.
Buy this one for sure.
Old 03-17-02, 07:22 AM
Tee
Banned

Just to let you know the R2 version is superb, it contains more extras and a superb DTS track. It's reviewedhere
Old 03-19-02, 11:48 AM

Well,

In the movie they certainly got the landscape right. Stalingrad is an easy place to locate a movie - after all 1.5 million people died in the battle. There wasn't much left after it was over.

Anyway, I know a bit about the conflict, and the one thing they really mucked up was the Political Officers (Commisars). In early November 1942 (I think it was the 11th, but I'll have to check) all Commisars were recalled to Moscow. Other than that I didn't see a lot to complain about - most of the weaponry, settings and so forth were well researched.

Sand
Old 03-20-02, 02:53 AM

if u like the game counter strike.. i am sure u will like this movie.
if u dont play games.. the movie is good, but it only focus on few ppl rather than the whole battle or war.
Old 03-24-02, 11:12 PM

This is a great movie ... although it seemed endless, the DVD is a wonderful addition to any collection. If you are into war, and the art of war, this movie will bring to you shear pleasure.