Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

First Look Review : The Hole (Canadian Exclusive)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-15-02, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synopsis from the official press release
----

Four young students, two girls and two boys go missing from an exclusive English private school. After an 18 day search nobody expects to see them alive again, but one of the girls reappears. Liz has survived the ordeal. As she relives the experience of being trapped for two weeks in a dark, underground bunker, it becomes clear that she is so traumatized by what happened that she can’t sort fact from fiction. But what really happened in the hole?

As detectives dig through the bunker, a terrible truth begins to emerge, where each piece of the puzzle threatening to expose the full horror of the actual events; an obsession that became the ultimate nightmare

--

The Hole stars Thora Birch, Desmond Harrington, Kiera Knightley and Laurence Fox.

Check it out at MadmanMark.com

The Hole streets March 19th in Canada only from Seville Pictures. US fans can purchase this disc online through Videoflicks.com or any number of other Canadian etailers.

Last edited by Mark McLeod; 03-15-02 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-15-02, 07:30 PM
Cool New Member

Not to butt heads with you, Mark, but Seville themselves told me that I published the first look at the DVD almost a week ago.

Tomato tomotto, here's the link to my review as well if anybody's looking for a second opinion - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/hole.htm

Cheers,
Bill C
Old 03-15-02, 07:45 PM

I saw your review as well but I noticed one huge error in your review and that is you have the sound as 2.0 Stereo and give the sound bad marks because of that. The sound is quite clearly 2.0 Surround as stated in my review. I never trust the labelling on the disc and always test the audio in a number of spots to see if it decodes correctly for surround sound.

As for the thread title. It's just a thread title. I can't remember how I came accross your review but it certaintly wasn't easy to find.

I tried to contact you last week about the review but there was no contact information on the site. I'm assuming the reason your review was first is that you live on the east coast and I had to wait the extra time for my copy to travel by mail up to me here on the West Coast.

Anyways, I still think people should check out the disc but should be aware that the mix is indeed DD 2.0 surround and not Stereo. Other then that I have no problem with your review.
Old 03-15-02, 10:05 PM
Cool New Member

Mark,

I was a little surprised that the menus listed two soundtracks in 2.0 Stereo, but lo and behold, my receiver lit up only the left and right mains. To make it surround I would have to force a ProLogic mix myself, as stereo is the only Dolby Digital encoding recognized.

Perhaps it was my review copy, but I find this is the case with most Seville DVDs. And although I was disappointed by the lack of rear channel information, I did point out that the sound was clear and had a healthy low frequency.

Also, every one of my review pages includes a graphical link to e-mail me or the critic in question. On the page for "The Hole", it is in the right margin, under the word "Seville," after the section called "DVD Vitals."

Last but not least, indeed I live further east than you, which advantaged me in the case of "The Hole". I'm certainly not trying to rain on your parade, it's just rare that I get to be first at these things.

Bill C
http://filmfreakcentral.net