Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Thesis? How is the image quality and translation?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-14-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THESIS seems to be a pretty good Spanish film. However, I am curious about the translation in the subtitles (Good/Bad)? And how is the quality of the image compared to other films on DVD? Would like to get some feedback on this.

Thanks!

DVD SMURF
Old 03-14-02, 06:43 PM

"Vanguard's DVD appears to be lifted from a British PAL source, complete with a couple of video dropouts and a nasty ruffle in the audio for a few seconds one hour into the film. The quality is acceptable but looks much closer to a videotape than a DVD; in any case, it's the film that really matters, and the fact that this is available at all in the U.S. is quite miraculous. The stereo soundtrack is mostly limited to the score (effectively composed by the director) and a few ambient effects like rain and video static. The marginally letterboxed transfer includes non-removable English subtitles, usually printed in the lower widescreen band, and illegible chapter selection options." sliced from a review done at mondo-digital.
Old 03-14-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Smog
in any case, it's the film that really matters.
Word! Actually, I think the VHS quality transfer gives it a creepier ambience because
Spoiler:
it's about snuff films, and all the snuff films I own are usually 3rd or 4th generation dupes.

hehehehehehehe!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 03-14-02, 07:05 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a review of the DVD at DVDReview

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/thesis.shtml
Old 04-18-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got this recently from a company I had never ordered from and the cover is really cheap. Anyone else have this disc and describe the cover for me?
There was actually a slim line of white along the edge of the back cover as if it had been cut crooked after being printed off a printer. Is the cover really that cheap? No insert right?
It was sealed when I got it and it looked factory sealed and not cheaply sealed, but even the artwork on the disc looks rather amateurish.
I don't think I have any other discs from Vanguard, and am just wondering if they have cheap artwork.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-02, 09:32 PM

I have a the White Lioness a Swedish criminal story from Vanguards and the case is a keep case that is plastic and transparent. The cover is nice, and ok. The purpose of the plastic and transparent keep case is to see the inside of the cover, which also function as the insert where you can see the Chapter list. However, it is not a Criterion or look like a major production companies keep case. The disc has a professional print on the top of the front of the cover. The film is not enhanced or improved in any manner. Nevertheless, it is a pretty good film.
Old 04-19-02, 11:24 AM

Vanguard has just announced that a Special Edition of "Thesis" will street on 6/25. It will include:

The Making of "Thesis" Documentary
Original Theatrical Trailer
Director Filmography
Stars Filmography

Unfortunately, it will be the same transfer as the previous release.

Last edited by chococat; 04-19-02 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-19-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is also a Vanguard release for 8/27/2002 where they have gone back to the Mexican title "Tesis", listed as full-screen. Whereas the Special Edition is listed as widescreen??
Old 05-19-02, 08:52 PM

All of their versions are listed as fullscreen, as their transfer is just barely letterboxed.
Old 05-20-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YEP!

Originally posted by chococat
All of their versions are listed as fullscreen, as their transfer is just barely letterboxed.
The ratio is 1.51:1.

cheers, Tony Block