Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me spend $2500 on a TV........

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 02:14 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....For my father-in-law.

My FIL has a budget of app. $2500 to upgrade his Sony 27 inch Trinitron TV.

He wants the biggest and best TV he can get for the money.

Until recently, I would have pegged him for a 4x3 TV since he does not have surround sound and has no DVD player and (until recently) didn't seem like he would want a DVD player. However, I think he may now get a DVD player with the TV, and even showed an inlking of Surround Sound desires, but that would likely not happen for a while (read: maybe a year at least).

Factors such as letterboxing in general should not be an issue as he is very accepting of stuff like this in general. And with DVDs I can easily get him to understand the benefits of OAR and letterboxing. However, if we go Widescreen, then I will have to explain to him that he either will have bars on the side for regular TV or will have to zoom to fill the screen, which I personnally abhor.

So it could go either way. I guess my only $.02 on this is that if we go 4x3, I would want something that has a 16x9 mode for Anamorphic DVDs. And I want to be as future proof as possible (given the current state of indefiniteness) regarding HDTV capability. Barring a problematic set, this will likely be the last TV he gest before we may see all-HDTV programming from the networks.

So, I apologize for being so long-winded, but please chime in in general with what you like/don't like about your TVs and offer any suggestions regarding the two options:

Option 1 - 4x3

Option 2 - 16x9
Old 03-14-02, 03:48 PM
Banned

Well if you are thinking RPTV, I would say look at Mitsubishi. The new models just came out, so you might beable to find a good deal on last year models.
Old 03-15-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get one of these...

Toshiba 57" 16:9 Widescreen Rear-Projection HDTV Monitor with 2-Tuner Picture-In-Picture

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470
Old 03-15-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If he doesn't want a DVD player, is he planning on using a VCR with his new HDTV? Because that is like pouring crude oil into the gas tank of a new Porsche. I would highly recommend he uses a Progressive Scan DVD player with his new TV.

What other video sources does he use? Sat, cable, PS2, TiVo, Laserdisc, Betamax? Is he willing to buy online if he gets a $3000-3300 TV for $2500?

As for brands, Toshiba and Mits are both excellent suggestions. 16x9 is the future for both TV and movies and the price difference is getting quite small.

Last edited by skar; 03-15-02 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 07:31 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Initially, if he does get the DVD player, he will be almost exclusively a DVD renter and not collector. Yes, he will get DVDs from myself and the rest of the family for birthdays/holidays/etc, but it seems quite obvious that at the outset, most content will be 4x3 material (he has cable but could go sat down the road, and still has a VCR, but from a rental perspective would likely rent exclusively DVDs except for when my daughter visits).

So, I think the solution is to get a great 4x3 set with a 16x9 mode. Meets all his current needs pretty well, and I can push him towards a progressive scan player. Plus, down the road, if/when DVI is an issue, or whatever, the investment is not too huge.....
Old 03-15-02, 07:34 AM

Why not the best of both worlds and get a DLP or LCD front projection package? Go for it!!

http://www.projectors-now.com/projunder.htm
Old 03-15-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Help me spend $2500 on a TV........

Originally posted by JLB
[BHowever, if we go Widescreen, then I will have to explain to him that he either will have bars on the side for regular TV or will have to zoom to fill the screen, which I personnally abhor.
[/B]
Some of the new TVs have really impressive stretch modes. Take your friend to the store and have them demonstrate this. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they won't. I have a Toshiba 50H81 and I think the stretch modes are really easy to get used to.
Old 03-25-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree with PunkYou. I have the Panny 47" and can't be happier. My previous tv was a Sony Wega, and although one is a tube while the panny is Rear projection, can't see a drastic difference esp. while watching dvds.

The tv does need some adjustments. Right out the box, the picture looked terrible, but after playing around with the settings, doing a few things I found on different sites devoted to the tv etc. it looks really great.

Of course, when watching standard cable it stretches the image to fill the 16X9 surface (you can choose a 4X3 mode if you like) so cable doesn't look nearly as good as a standard tv. Depends what you're looking for. I personally was willing to give up picture on tv, to gain picture for dvds.

It's a great tv, and recommend haggling if you do indeed get it at BestBuy. I got mine for like 1.6-1.7k and that was with a free 3 year extended warranty plan, and free delivery. So they will move on it.
Old 03-28-02, 01:11 PM
Cool New Member

Go with the Panny!!!

The 47" Panny is an increadable steal and a delight to watch! While tweaking does help, It's kinda fun to do, and still looks great not to. If you want to hear from some avid fans check out http://panny.tv
Old 03-29-02, 07:11 PM

I have to go with simonduz, if you have a room with reasonable light control nothing compares to front projectors for the price. The $1400 Panasonic AE100 compares with rear projection TV's for 3x the price.