Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wacky game moments

Old 03-14-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wacky game moments

One time a friend and I were very bored one summer and had just beat Super Mario World for the gajillionth time. We were probably in sixth grade at the time. We plugged the game into the Game Genie and decided to goof around for a little while.

We were using the invincibility code and one or two others which I don't recall.

When the opening cinematic started, we would flip the Game Genie on and off, causing cinematic Mario to become invincible or not. Then we would turn it off and get him killed in the intro. It was fairly amusing (at the time) because poor Mario had no chance.

After about a half hour of this, and resetting the console after each time, one time the game started without the title screen or anything, just Mario standing there still in the demo level. I sat there for a minute, then picked up the first player controller and discovered that I could control him. I was like, wow! I've discovered something no one else has. I turned on invincibility (so that I wouldn't die and could see what was at the end of the level) and proceeded to go through the level.

There was no end. IIRC it just looped after a certain point, or maybe it went on forever. I figured there would be a bar that I could jump through or a pipe I could go down to access a secret world or something (sort of like in Super Mario Bros. for NES). Nope. Dejected, I turned off the SNES and tried to recreate what I had done for about 15 more minutes. After repeated tries and no success I gave up and decided to write a letter to a magazine.

Obviously, they never published it (thinking I was just some dumb kid making up stuff), but I at least have one other witness.

Anyway, have any of you ever experienced memorable bugs or Game Genie weirdness?
Old 03-14-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One time while playing FF6 I opened my item list and was shocked to find that I had like 99 of everything, including all the best weapons and relics. If my memory serves me correctly it was after I beat the montser from which Strago learns Grand Train (Hidon?). I played though that game at least 20 times and it only happened the one time. I wasn't using a Game Genie or any cheats either.
Old 03-14-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On my Commodore 64, the game was Might and Magic 1. I found that when loading from one of my copies (I didn't use the originals as 5 1/4 floppies are easy to destroy), it must have been corrupted, because sometimes it would cause the character stats to screw up. I managed to get things like an axe +75 or a long sword +124 (normally +2 or +3). I had one character get something like 20000 hit points and another be at 500th level. Most times, the characters would be dead and couldn't be raised, but when they weren't I'd start the game, pull the floppy, stick a different one in, and save the game. Then I'd restart, put in my messed up disk, and see what I could get.
Old 03-15-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone ever try the C-64 Wolfenstein paddle trick? IIRC, if you hooked up the Atari 2600 paddles, turned each paddle 'in' to the extreme (right for the left one, left for the right one) and hit both buttons at the same time, your character would walk through a hole in the wall and end up at the end of the game.

We thought it was neat when we were 14 or so.
Old 03-15-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gromit
Anyone ever try the C-64 Wolfenstein paddle trick? IIRC, if you hooked up the Atari 2600 paddles, turned each paddle 'in' to the extreme (right for the left one, left for the right one) and hit both buttons at the same time, your character would walk through a hole in the wall and end up at the end of the game.
I never knew about that.

One of the best things about the C64 was that you could use Atari joysticks with it. All computers made today should come standard with that port.
Old 03-16-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened about twice with my copy of Super Mario Brothers 2 for the NES. I imagine it came about as a result of a dirty cartridge. I turned on the game, and all the gameplay was normal, but the graphics were completely screwed up. The only thing that I remember for sure is that instead of having the door graphics on the door, it was the graphic of the egg-shooter getting ready to fire (frozen in position). I believe when you pulled up coins it would come up as ninjas, and other crazy stuff like that