Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Region Free DVD Viewing for the XBOX?

dgc
03-14-02, 11:17 AM
I know there's a product coming soon for the UK xbox that will convert it for region free use:

http://www.play.com/covers/100483m.jpg

http://www.play.com/Play247.asp?pag...OX&title=100483

Select "xbox" in the drop down search and type in "region x"

Any news for the U.S. xbox version of this or a similar product?

squidget
03-14-02, 05:48 PM
what is the difference between the uk and us xbox?
the us xbox converts pal and ntsc, i would assume that it would work on both. ill swing by my local import shop and get the scoop

goLUCKY
03-14-02, 05:55 PM
Does that mean that it is DVD "software" that controls what region a XBOX will play DVD's?

Gallant Pig
03-14-02, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by golucky
Does that mean that it is DVD "software" that controls what region a XBOX will play DVD's?

Absolutely. Same goes for all DVD players. Actually I believe it's in the firmware not software.

dgc
03-15-02, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by squidget
what is the difference between the uk and us xbox?
the us xbox converts pal and ntsc, i would assume that it would work on both. ill swing by my local import shop and get the scoop

That's what I was thinking. The U.S. xbox already does pal and ntsc. I thought the hardware was the same and since it's a software product that makes the xbox region free, the software product for the U.K. should work on the U.S. xbox.

Maybe the laws in the states prohibit the distribution of such a product here but not in the UK or the rest of Europe.

As soon as I can get my hands on this disc, I'll try it and post the results here.

Prancetron2000
04-05-02, 02:54 PM
Has anyone tried playing an anamorphic R0 PAL DVDs on an X-Box? Does it look as good as it would on a European DVD player? Any framing problems or anything else?

Prancetron2000
04-08-02, 02:42 PM
Please if anyone knows the answer to my question, help me. I'm ready to buy Iron Monkey from HKL, but I first want to make sure that it's going to be displayed in its intented aspect ration on my X-Box.

Gallant Pig
04-08-02, 03:25 PM
I've heard it does a nice job converting from PAL to NTSC. Give it a shot.

dgc
04-09-02, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Prancetron2000
Please if anyone knows the answer to my question, help me. I'm ready to buy Iron Monkey from HKL, but I first want to make sure that it's going to be displayed in its intented aspect ration on my X-Box.

Yes it will. See the thread below:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160757

Prancetron2000
04-12-02, 04:35 PM
I heard that there are a few HKL DVDs such as Police Story that really need the X Y scaling feature present in the Malata player in order for it to be framed properly. The X-Box doesn't have such a feature, so how will it look??

Trigger
04-12-02, 04:39 PM
Does this thing work on US xboxs or not? Anyone know yet?

Prancetron2000
04-12-02, 07:50 PM
Ive heard that the answer is no, but I don't know if anyone here has actually tried using one on their American X-Box.

squidget
04-15-02, 11:44 AM
I heard that there are a few HKL DVDs such as Police Story that really need the X Y scaling feature present in the Malata player in order for it to be framed properly. The X-Box doesn't have such a feature, so how will it look??

I played police story on my xbox. it looked great. i didnt have any problems

Prancetron2000
04-15-02, 05:34 PM
Awesome, thanks.

Prancetron2000
04-15-02, 11:07 PM
waitaminute... you've played Police Story on your X-Box? So I assume that you live in Europe and have a PAL system, correct?

Gallant Pig
04-16-02, 12:05 AM
waitaminute... you've played Police Story on your X-Box? So I assume that you live in Europe and have a PAL system, correct?

I don't get it, why would you assume that? The Xbox converts a PAL signal to NTSC.

C-Killer Redux
04-16-02, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by squidget

I played police story on my xbox. it looked great. i didnt have any problems

Are all Hong Kong Legends DVD's Region 0? I held off buying them as Pokerindustries.com lists them as Region 2.

enthused
04-16-02, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by C-Killer Redux

Are all Hong Kong Legends DVD's Region 0? I held off buying them as Pokerindustries.com lists them as Region 2.

Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and New Dragon Gate Inn are all region 0.. The rest are region 2

Prancetron2000
04-17-02, 04:16 PM
I don't get it, why would you assume that? The Xbox converts a PAL signal to NTSC.

Because no one has released a region-free disc like the one available in Europe now, and Police Story HKL is a region 2 disc.

squidget
04-17-02, 04:35 PM

Because no one has released a region-free disc like the one available in Europe now, and Police Story HKL is a region 2 disc.

policy story is actually region 0

Prancetron2000
04-17-02, 07:19 PM
Are you serious??! How come bulletsnbabes and everyone else told me otherwise?

C-Killer Redux
04-17-02, 08:01 PM
What's up with the Tartan movies? I bought Ring 0 and it has the "0" region logo on the back, but under the special features section right above it it says "Region Code: 2". What's up with that?

Anyhow all was not lost as I also bought "All Night Long" and that plays fine.

Prancetron2000
04-18-02, 04:29 PM
Can anybody else here confirm that HKL's Police Story is a Region 0 DVD?

Trigger
04-19-02, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
What's up with the Tartan movies? I bought Ring 0 and it has the "0" region logo on the back, but under the special features section right above it it says "Region Code: 2". What's up with that?

Anyhow all was not lost as I also bought "All Night Long" and that plays fine.

Yeah - and out of the 3 Ring DVDs - Ring 0 is actually Region 2 while Ring and Ring 2 are both Region 0... and I think they say Region 2 on the back. Ring 0 wasn't very good anyway IMHO. ;)

dgc
04-19-02, 09:14 AM
Let's get back on topic here.

Anybody have any solutions for making the xbox a region free dvd player?

Prancetron2000
04-19-02, 09:07 PM
Hopefully someone will release a Region-X CD for Region 1.

Gallant Pig
04-19-02, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by dgc
Let's get back on topic here.

Anybody have any solutions for making the xbox a region free dvd player?

Region free, no. Region 2 (the best non-Region1) yes, import a Japanese or European DVD dongle as long as you haven't used the region 1 version yet.

Gallant Pig
04-19-02, 09:32 PM
Hopefully someone will release a Region-X CD for Region 1.

Isn't it a dongle? Not a CD?

I would bet money it would work on the US version too.

dgc
04-19-02, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Isn't it a dongle? Not a CD?

I would bet money it would work on the US version too.

Look at the 1st post in the thread.

Trigger
04-20-02, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by dgc

Look at the 1st post in the thread.
:confused: the first post says nothing about it being a CD or a "dongle" (what??). I'm still waiting for someone to say whether or not this works in the US Xbox. Someone be brave and buy it. :)

Roan
04-20-02, 09:34 AM
<a href="http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=XBOX&title=100483" target="_blank">This website</a> says it will play on UK XBOX only.

Gallant Pig
04-20-02, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Trigger

:confused: the first post says nothing about it being a CD or a "dongle" (what??). I'm still waiting for someone to say whether or not this works in the US Xbox. Someone be brave and buy it. :)

Even the product description at the web site has no reference to whether it is a CD or dongle. I'm pretty sure it's a dongle though, and that dgc is related to David Lynch.

Gallant Pig
04-20-02, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Roan
<a href="http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=XBOX&title=100483" target="_blank">This website</a> says it will play on UK XBOX only.

Well it's also a UK web site, I'm sure they could be covering their arses in case it doesn't work on US consoles.

dgc
04-20-02, 11:40 AM

Even the product description at the web site has no reference to whether it is a CD or dongle. I'm pretty sure it's a dongle though, and that dgc is related to David Lynch.

Well the fact that they show a picture of a dvd case leads me to believe that it's a disc.

A disc is also mentioned here:

http://www.dvdregionx.com/english/x_key_codes.htm

The disc won't be available until April 26th.

Related to David Lynch??? Umm, Ok, whatever.

Gallant Pig
04-20-02, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by dgc

Well the fact that they show a picture of a dvd case leads me to believe that it's a disc.

Oh you mean that crappy, low-res image? Oh how obvious! :rolleyes:

dgc
04-20-02, 12:28 PM

Oh you mean that crappy, low-res image? Oh how obvious! :rolleyes:

-rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes-

:p

Gallant Pig
04-20-02, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by dgc

-rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes- -rolleyes-

My moniter res is super high, anything that small I have to squint to see.

ILikeDVD
05-22-02, 01:23 PM
Cmon Static Cling!!!!!!!!! Why'd you close my other thread??? As you can see the people here have strayed off the topic. OPen my other thread and close this one.

Static Cling
05-22-02, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Cmon Static Cling!!!!!!!!! Why'd you close my other thread??? As you can see the people here have strayed off the topic. OPen my other thread and close this one. Because it was a duplicate. Your other thread is staying closed.

Let's stay on topic, people... is there a way to make the X-Box a region-free DVD player?

Electric2k
05-23-02, 10:10 AM
Static, I'm afraid I agree with the above. This thread is crap. Why don't we just close it and start over?

Gallant Pig
05-23-02, 01:39 PM
Only in the UK? Hopefully they will make a US version soon.

Static Cling
05-23-02, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Electric2k
Static, I'm afraid I agree with the above. This thread is crap. Why don't we just close it and start over? To modify a phrase, "The crap stops here." :) I wasn't aware about what this thread had become, but now I am. I'll take care of any further off-topic posts.

Electric2k
05-23-02, 03:42 PM
Thanks. I was going to post in here a while back and changed my mind....

Gallant Pig
05-23-02, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Electric2k
Thanks. I was going to post in here a while back and changed my mind....

What were you going to post? Other than these piracy mod chips coming out, there doesn't appear to be a viable region free mod until they port that disc over to the USA. Do you have any new information?

Electric2k
05-24-02, 11:30 AM
I meant I was going to ask if anyone had found a solution yet for US XBoxes...