Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review the Reviewer: Questions about reviewing.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Do you actually pay attention to a a reviewers description of DVD transfer quality?
Yes
61.54%
No
38.46%
Depends on the DVD
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-02, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a topic name. Anyway..
I wanted to ask the reviewers, specifically the ones that review DVD movies for their own web sites:
How the heck can you describe in such detail things like scratchy reels, saturation, shadow delineation, compression artifacts, edge enhancement, localized sound effects, separation of the front soundstage, left to right effect shifts, etc, etc. without detracting from actually enjoying a movie?
Do you sit and watch a movie over and over analyzing these things, or do you have some type of alien devices watching over your shoulder while you just sit and enjoy the movie?

I understand the importance of film quality and transfers but when I buy a DVD, especially if it is one I have been looking forward to seeing, I find it very hard to not be enveloped in the whole experience and would find it very hard to do what you do.

Thanks from a loyal review reader.
Old 03-13-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a professional reviewer, but I always watch for those things you mentioned when I watch DVDs. I'm a film major, and I tend to look at movies critically. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. watching for things like scratches and print flaws has become second nature to me and doesn't distract me from the story at all. I guess it's like eating popcorn and drinking a soda when you watch a movie. You can do that and watch a film. Watching and listening for flaws is not much different. Once your used to it, it's easy to do all those things at once. However, sometimes a second viewing is a lot more telling than the first. The only thing I have yet to notice is edge enhancement. I've seen pictures and descriptions of what it is, but for some reason, even when I'm looking for it, I just don't ever see it.
Old 03-13-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I'm not a professional either, but when I read reviews, I'd like to know if at least some cleanup has been done. Some of the Simitar R1 Godzilla discs certainly could have used a cleanup, but I could still enjoy the flick. Something more serious though, and I would want it to look better.

Sometimes film defects can add to the experience, but on the reverse, a direct to digital Toy Story transfer can be near orgasmic