Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Atlantis: The Lost Empire = 4.5 stars!?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-13-02, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this movie/DVD has been released for a while but I was reading the review on dvdtalk and found out that it's got a 4.5 stars rating. It seems pretty amazing to me that a movie that has "borrowed" liberally from various movies can achieve such high rating. Back when I saw it in the theaters I was utterly disgusted by how unoriginal this movie is.

The beginning sequence of movie is an exact replica of another movie - Stargate. Right down to the character design. I will consider the character is a coincident since he sort of resembles Micheal J. Fox. The movie also copied animations by Hayao Miyazaki, the creator of Totoro, Kiki's delivery service, and Princess Mononoke.

The movie can be summarized as Stargate meet Laputa (Castle in the Sky). Eccentric boy no one believes is the only link to lost world (SG), boy is following footstep of grandfather(CitS), boy speaks and reads ancient language (SG), the crystal that sustains Atlantis (CitS), boy stays in Atlantis (SG).

Atlantis also "borrows" freely from other animes by Miyazaki. Since Atlantis is suppose to be an "original" script but have came out after both of the movies I mentioned above. Obviously, plagiarism is the first thing that came to my mind especially when Atlantis offers nothing on its own thematically.

I just don't think Atlantis deserves such high praise with this unoriginal script that borderlines plagiarism. Just for reference, dvdtalk ranked this movie higher (4.5) than another highly original film - Shrek (4).
Old 03-13-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering all the folks out there that disliked ATLANTIS so much,
I must say that I really enjoyed this Disney outing. Sure Disney borrowed from other films, but Hollywood does that everyday of the week. The bottom line was that ATLANTIS "artfully" borrowed elements in way that greatly benefited the film. I must admit that I was concerned when they selected a less "traditional-looking" style of animation, but it really seemed to work within the context of the film. Even the tone for ATLANTIS was a departure from their most recent crop of films.

Those of you that have not seen ATLANTIS, do yourself a favor and do so. Although it didn't perform as well as expected theatrically, ATLANTIS is an enjoyable experience all the same; and the 2-disc SE dvd rocks.
Old 03-13-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Hi Habib,

Thanks for the comments about my review of "Atlantis." I stand by my 4.5 star rating, feeling that the film never received the attention it deserved in theaters. I consider it to be one of Disney's best efforts in the past decade. Highdef is correct: Films--like all works of art--constantly "borrow" from other works. It's not plagiarism but a respect for a particular type of storytelling. Call it an homage.

If you'd like to read a review that's more in tune with the popular opinion that "Atlantis" is a mediocre effort, another DVD Talk reviewer gave the film 3 stars. Just check out the Search function.

And yes, I do value "Atlantis" more than "Shrek" (although I didn't review the latter). I think "Shrek" is a good, fun film if you don't mind poop jokes and fart jokes and mean-spirited jabs.
Old 03-18-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I would like to see more of this type of animation From Disney. The film had a great look to it, and the fact that it was pure adventure with nobody breaking into song was another plus. The animation style may seem borrowed, but was entirely appropriate for this type of film. anything else would have been sub par.
Old 03-19-02, 07:21 AM

Re: Atlantis: The Lost Empire = 4.5 stars!?

Originally posted by Habib
Obviously, plagiarism is the first thing that came to my mind especially when Atlantis offers nothing on its own thematically.
I just don't think Atlantis deserves such high praise with this unoriginal script that borderlines plagiarism.
I think that's pouring it on a bit too thick. Perhaps we could say this about practically every new song that hits the market. Ever notice that most of them are about love in one form or another?
Old 03-19-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Most of the character designs were by Mike Mignola (Hellboy) -- I'd love to see an animated series/movie of that. Nice and dark, blocky characters, R-rated for violence and language ;p

Tuan Jim
Old 03-19-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was pretty underwhelmed by the movie. I think Disney films can work without song (look at The Emperor's New Groove and Dinosaur), but Atlantis was even more bland than Dinosaur (which itself could have used some strength in its weak second half).

Part of what annoyed me was that the movie was trying to be smart and suspenseful and yet all of the characters had to talk with a thick accent and come from all over the world...well it was just annoying. The movie was ok, but I must say I was disappointed, and I like 95% of what Disney makes.

Still I got the DVD with found money, so I don't regret the purchase so much...although those $27 could have gone elsewhere.
Old 03-22-02, 03:41 AM

If I hadnt' saw those movies I mentioned, I would have appreciate it more because of all the eye candies and graphics. But unfortunately, those things alone can't carry the movie when the story is so weak.

I still remember seeing the trailer for the first time. I was actually really excited about the movie because it looked so good. But I was extrememly disapointed about 20 minutes into the movie. Just ripping everything blatantly. If you have a chance, just check out Stargate and you will know what I mean. Fans of Miyazaki will definitely recognize stories/plot. Crystal sustaining lost civilization... Man want to steal crystal, girl has power to control crystal... I just can't take it!
Old 03-22-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great picture, Great sound, average movie......
Old 03-22-02, 11:30 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great picture, Great sound, average movie......
I have to agree exactly. I was quite amazed at how much of a workout Atlantis gave my Definitive PF15TL sub......

Serious LFE in this movie......