Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted-The Deep End

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-12-02, 09:25 PM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the reviews of the critics but wondered what you thought!
Thanks!
Old 03-12-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the DVD so Ill post a review next week. Check my site in my profile.
Old 04-27-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I just saw this last night and I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed. I'd been hearing great things about this when it came out, but to me it just never quite took off -- kind of felt like a Lifetime movie with delusions of grandeur. Good solid acting, beautiful cinematography and so forth, but in the end it just was yet another movie with people making terrible decisions and having to deal with the consequences - which, when you think about it, is like half the movies ever made, of course. I just don't know why some critics call this a "perfect noir" and so forth when to me something like "The Man Who Wasn't There" was much more moody and evocative. I wouldn't say "The Deep End" is a bad movie, it's just an exceedingly ordinary one despite the trappings. If the scenario took place in Brooklyn instead of the mountains of Lake Tahoe nobody would have given this one a second look I think... I give it a "C+"
Old 04-27-02, 09:26 PM

cautiously positive review

I was impressed with The Deep End. The pacing is fairly slow, but it is sure .. there is a definite momentum. I never felt bored. The tension is real - the narrative plays out as 'real'.

What made this movie for me, were the emotional undercurrents and fractures between the various people and in the family. Tilda Swinton's acting is spot on - she is strong as the mother trying to hold everything together around her - but also very vulnerable and overwhelmed by circumstances over which she has no control.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, but I am not sure there is enough there for repeated viewings .. so maybe rent it first. Also, if you're expecting an action thriller, or even a horror flick, you will be sorely disappointed.
Old 04-28-02, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I just saw this last night and I have to say I was kind of underwhelmed. I'd been hearing great things about this when it came out, but to me it just never quite took off -- kind of felt like a Lifetime movie with delusions of grandeur. Good solid acting, beautiful cinematography and so forth, but in the end it just was yet another movie with people making terrible decisions and having to deal with the consequences - which, when you think about it, is like half the movies ever made, of course. I just don't know why some critics call this a "perfect noir" and so forth when to me something like "The Man Who Wasn't There" was much more moody and evocative. I wouldn't say "The Deep End" is a bad movie, it's just an exceedingly ordinary one despite the trappings. If the scenario took place in Brooklyn instead of the mountains of Lake Tahoe nobody would have given this one a second look I think... I give it a "C+"
I agree... I was a little underwhelmed - almost to the point of being dissappointed, based on the many great things I had heard about it.
That's not to say it's a bad movie. It really was pretty decent, but still, not nearly as good as I was expecting it to be.
Old 04-29-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Decent movie 3/5
The Sundance 'Anatomy of a Scene' extra was fantastic. I wish more films had these rather than the generic featurette.
Old 05-01-02, 08:49 AM
Max

Well, I bought this sight unseen before reading "everyday" viewers thoughts as opposed to critics. What a disappointment! This in no way constitutes a thriller that's for sure! I understand what was behind the film but this was slow paced and no real thrills abound! It reminded me of "In the Bedroom" which I also thought got way more hype than it deserved. Another movie that moved at a snails pace with no hard hitting drama or suspense.

Definitely rent before you buy!!! I am from now on!
Old 05-01-02, 03:03 PM

I concur with everyone else here: the movie was not at all thrilling. While Tilda was outstanding, this is certainly not a must own. I know I couldn't bear to watch it again.
Old 05-02-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Max
This in no way constitutes a thriller that's for sure! I understand what was behind the film but this was slow paced and no real thrills abound! It reminded me of "In the Bedroom" which I also thought got way more hype than it deserved.
I liked both of these films (In the Bedroom moreso than The Deep End). I think you may be basing your opinion on the inccorect assumption that these two films were supposed to be suspense thrillers. They weren't. They were character studies about people placed into difficult circumstances. It's just a different type of movie, and I don't think either of these films needed artificial "thrills" to be good.