Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Looking for review of Sexy Beast

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-12-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have heard plenty from critics now would like opinion from people who know. Looking for how the actual movie is and the features.

Thanks In advance.

T-Dogg
Old 03-12-02, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TeddyDogg-
I just finished watching Sexy Beast a few hours ago. Quite good. The movie is filmed much like "The Limey". Cool camera angles, good dialogue exchange, great acting. The dialogue is a little hard to hear/understand due to the "London slang." ( At times worse than "Snatch.") The story is basic and perhaps I thought too much about this movie and expected it to be action packed ( so don't think about it too much)

The quality is quite cool, colors are crisp, I did notice some grains but minimal. Sound good but as mentioned I couldn't understand the dialogue at times. Its in both 5.1 and Dolby Surround ( 2.0 I guess) , various versions of the trailers and a pretty good featurette. It also has commentary from both the producer ( Jeremy Thomas) and Ben Kingsley ( who had a great accent and performance..he played a psycho but not to the length of like Deniro in "Cape Fear" or Woody Harrelson in "Natural Born Killers," but still good, I hope he wins an Oscar)

This movie is certainly worth watching and if you liked "The Limey" you'll love "Sexy Beast."( I guess I'm saying its not action packed or as humorous as "Snatch," It has its moments though)I hope this helps...
Old 03-12-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks wakwak007 it is nice to get an opinion from a "real" person. I think I will rent it to make sure this is something I want. I did like the limey though.
Old 03-14-02, 06:33 PM

Hey TeddyDogg-
Please let me know what you think of the movie, after you see it.
Old 03-15-02, 01:39 AM
Cool New Member

movie

saw it at an indy theater a while back.

I thought it was pretty good - ben kingsley does a fantastic job.

moviemagic
Old 03-15-02, 10:55 AM
Banned

Not a chick flick

I did not get into it myself. The guys seemed to like it. We did nor really though. Thats my 2 cents. ; )
Old 03-15-02, 01:12 PM
Cool New Member

chick flick

It is definitely not a chick flick - meaning a love story, or a sappy story etc.

But I saw it with a chick and she liked the movie too.

moviemagic
Old 03-15-02, 10:34 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I can't wait to see this movie. Hopfully I'll get a chance to watch it this weekend and I'll post a review later.
Old 03-16-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really, really good--and not just because of Ben Kingsley either (yow!)

High-tension, with visual panache and great dead-on attitude, it made the 'gangster' film genre feel fresh to me again. Only 88 minutes of prime, lean steak, cooked rare with lots o' juice flowing onto yr plate.

Do watch it.

And damn, I wish it had better extras because I wanted to get into the filmmaker's mindset when they made this.
Old 03-19-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great performance by Kingsley, but for the most part, a very weak story. Worth a rental.....
Old 03-19-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
I second the opinion that Kinsley's no-holds-barred performance is really the only thing holding this movie together. The "retired thief pulled back in for one last job" plot is nothing special. There were three movies from this sub-genre last year. This one is better than The Score, but not as good as Heist.

Watch it for Kinsley. He is riveting. You'll never look at Ghandi the same way again.
Old 03-19-02, 12:19 PM
Uber Member

I have to disagree a bit. I don't recommend watching it for Kingsley, because his is only a supporting role. I was expecting to see his character exploding all over the screen in every shot, and was a little disappointed as a result. Watch the movie and while it's playing you'll be amazed by the crazed performance "Gandhi" puts on. But afterwards, you can also appreciate the stand up performance by Ray Winstone, who, I thought, really stood toe to toe with Kingsley in the scenes they shared.

I rather liked the story myself. It's not just about a hood forced to come out of retirement, it's also a nice love story. The heist itself is a little slow actually, but for me this is more about the characters than the plot.

But I would agree, this is a rental. And use the subtitles!

Otherwise, nice DVD, with a too short and light featurette. Haven't listened to the commentary yet. The Waking Life trailer looked interesting too.

"Walking on the beaches, staring at the peaches!"

-David