Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Music Unpaid For: the ethical question [NOT CONDONED]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Music Unpaid For: the ethical question [NOT CONDONED]

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel guilty about all of my downloaded albums.

I've downloaded probably two hundred albums in the past 6 months. When I was a policol/philosophic anarchist, it was ok because I believed that ownership was only possesion - if I have it it is mine - if you take it, it is yours, if I want it bad enough I can take it back - etc. But now I don't really believe that due to many holes in my idealism - anyway, now it feels like I've stolen from all of these musicians, and that it isn't right. Of course I still don't want to give up the cds. Maybe I'll just set out to buy all the ones I've downloaded - eventually I could make up for it.

Last edited by benedict; 03-12-02 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-12-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could give me the money if it will make you feel better.

I accept paypal.
Old 03-12-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. M
You could give me the money if it will make you feel better.

I accept paypal.
Um no, that wouldn't make me feel better, actually. It is the musicians that I have been stealing from - though it is some consolation that most of my downloads have been folksy stuff like Dylan, Guthrie, and Springsteen. THey probably wouldn't mind.

Though I also d/l 5 metallica albums
Old 03-12-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ziggy
Though I also d/l 5 metallica albums
that's it. you're in SERIOUS trouble now... Lars is coming after you
Old 03-12-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can relate. I downloaded a recording 6 months ago that I LOVE. I kept saying I was going to go out and buy this CD (from an artist I've supported for almost 20 years). Last week I burned it to disc. I did feel a little bad doing that. But, the weird thing is that I've burned discs from friends and never felt bad about that. What is the difference from downloading or copying from friends? Not much... maybe the quality of Mp3's are worse, but the act is not much different. I told my wife last night as I was listening to this CD in my car that if I went to see this band in concert I would walk up to them and give them $20 personally (not really, but I should!)

The only other discs I've burned from downloads were of compilations of various singles and didn't feel bad about that.

When I was in college I used to record TONS of music to cassette.
But I eventually went out and bought the CD's of the stuff I loved.
This was before CD burners were available. Now, the CD is the end of the line as far as recording goes.... so, burning something to disc is something I am not as likely to do as much.
Old 03-12-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well keep in mind that an artist only makes between 1% to 3% of album sales. That is not a very big percentage. The artists make their money by touring because the record company doesn't have too much to do with the tour. Of course the record company does get a percentage of the tour but their percentage pretty much matches what the artist makes on album sales.

Some math...

Album sales:
500,000 copies at ~ $14 = $7,000,000 - The artist (2%)gets $140,000.

Concert earnings:
30,000 seat show at ~$45 a ticket = 1,350,000 - The average deal that an artist makes from ticket sales ranges from 25% - 45% - The artist will get (at 35%) $472,000 and this doesn't include concessions and memorabelia sales.

Lets say the artist does 150 shows a year so yearly bank is ~$70,000,000. That is of course before expenses, promoters, agents, taxes, etc... but you get the idea.

And these numbers aren't too far off.

So if you feel bad about downloading songs just go to a concert and you will feel better.
Old 03-12-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As well you should.
Old 03-12-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you really feel bad, 2% of $20.00 is $0.40. You could just send that to each of the artists in question in leiu of buying a CD.
Old 03-12-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just look at what I listen to the most and go out and buy it if I am truly enjoying it so much that I am listening to it all the time. That doesn't make it seem as bad Plus it's hard to find MP3s that are as good as their CD counterparts, so if I really like the group I'd want the real thing.

If groups were smart they'd use that skipping MP3 sound in their songs, then people wouldn't be able to find a song without it and run out and get the CD :snicker: Rasputina actually sort of did that with Leechwife, though I don't think they meant it in that way... it was a more a subtle sucking sound than the ear-wrending bleep you usually hear, but it still fooled me.

~Scheherazade
Old 03-12-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I treat downloading MP3s like listening to the songs on the radio. But once I discover I like the material, I go ahead and buy the real thing. For the stuff I don't like, I delete it. I think this is the fairest for all parties involved.
Old 03-12-02, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

I do the same thing, first download to see if I like the song. Delete if I don't and buy if I do.
Old 03-12-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't buy CD's much anymore either.

If I like the CD, I go to their shows. They get more money from that.

If I really like the band, and I can afford it, I buy merchandise at the shows. They really make money there.
Old 03-12-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've downloaded all of the beatles albums - all of the pink floyd albums that I didn't already own. All the dylan and springsteen albums I didn't already own. I could go on for days listing what I've downloaded - almost exclusively whole albums. But since the artists are actually only getting a coupla percent, I don't feel bad - ***** the man! - stupid record companies
Old 03-12-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta buy the CDs the first like 2 weeks or something for the artists to really make enough money off it. As I understand it, after that initial period their cut is drastically... cut.

~Scheherazade
Old 03-12-02, 07:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Scheherazade, I never heard that before; I thought bands had to earn back their advances, recording costs etc before they started to see royalties. Perhaps the situation is other than I had thought but do you have a source for this info?