Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Radiohead live up to the hype?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering because I am thinking about getting OK Computer. So is it worth it?
Old 03-11-02, 10:02 PM

Radiohead not only live up to the hype, they surpass it! OK Computer is a masterpiece... you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Old 03-11-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I can't stand anything past The Bends (which is absolutely brilliant). Many here will no doubt disagree with me, but I found Ok Computer to be particularily whiney and pretentious. Don't even get me started with their last two albums... oi vey!

That being said, since so many seem to enjoy Ok Computer I'd suggest checking it out as well as the aforementioned The Bends. Perhaps you will find something in the former that I could not...

Cheers!

-matt
Old 03-11-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a huge fan, but I thought Ok Computer was very good. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
Old 03-11-02, 11:34 PM

I use to think it was all hype until I started listening to them. They really are great. And while I think OK Computer is a very good album, I have to say that The Bends is incredible. I would suggest picking up The Bends before you pick up OK Computer, even though songs like Paranoid Android and Karma Police are awesome.
Old 03-12-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by raithen
Personally, I can't stand anything past The Bends (which is absolutely brilliant). Many here will no doubt disagree with me, but I found Ok Computer to be particularily whiney and pretentious. Don't even get me started with their last two albums... oi vey!

That being said, since so many seem to enjoy Ok Computer I'd suggest checking it out as well as the aforementioned The Bends. Perhaps you will find something in the former that I could not...

Cheers!

-matt
yes, the Bends is awesome - while I think OK Computer is just really good. THe Bends is definitly their best album
Old 03-12-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They more then live to the hype. they are amazing in concert.
Old 03-12-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate a lot of hype. It can set you up for disappointments, but I really like Radiohead. Personally, "The Bends" did nothing for me. I like their music from "Ok Computer" forward.
Old 03-12-02, 08:23 AM
Banned

Radiohead is an incredible band.
Old 03-12-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"The Bends" and "O.K. Computer" are two of my all-time favorite albums by anyone. Do yourself a favor though and skip Radiohead's last two albums. Pure shite!
Old 03-12-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great album, buy it.

I don't seem to recall there being much hype about it when it was released. The hype didn't come until afterwards.

I
Old 03-12-02, 01:40 PM
Retired

They surpass the hype. They are phenomenal. All of their albums are great, aside from Pablo Honey which is just a mediocre alternative rock album IMHO.

OK Computer is my fave, and I highly reccomend it. The Bends is also excellent.

I love Amensiac and Kid A, but you'd have to listen to them for yourself. Liking OKC and The Bends doesn't guarantee you'll like them as many people who love those albums have hated Amensiac and Kid A.
Old 03-12-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No 'groupthink.'

Listen for yourself, judge for yourself, come to your own conclusions.

It's the way Thom Yorke would want it.
Old 03-12-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost ONLY listen to their last two recordings.
Old 03-12-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I almost ONLY listen to their last two recordings.
Ditto. Definitely their best. I would also say that they are Radiohead's most passionate recordings. Just because Thom doesn't reach into his warbly falsetto doesn't mean that there isn't passion. I find the typical Kraftwerk tune to be more passionate than anything Whitney Houston ever did...
Old 03-12-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its odd how most people either love the first two/three albums and hate the last two, or hate the first two and love the last two/three. I wonder what the dicotamy is? Personally I think it is that those who like Amnesiac and KidA better have their heads up theirs asses , but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-12-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Saw the video for Paranoid Android last weekend... it was the first Radiohead song I've heard since Creep. I thought PA was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Ever. Seriously, what a bore.
Old 03-12-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yancey

Ditto. Definitely their best. I would also say that they are Radiohead's most passionate recordings. Just because Thom doesn't reach into his warbly falsetto doesn't mean that there isn't passion. I find the typical Kraftwerk tune to be more passionate than anything Whitney Houston ever did...

I'm not really sure I get your connection. But for the record, I'm a HUGE electronic music fan. And prefer that type of music over your conventional band. True, Kraftwerk is more passionate than Whitney Houston. But then again, what isn't? And I'm sorry, but there is no way "Kid A" and "Amesiac" are more passionate than "O.K. Computer". I wasn't just talking about Thom's vocals. I meant the overall production.
Old 03-12-02, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Daytripper

I'm not really sure I get your connection. But for the record, I'm a HUGE electronic music fan. And prefer that type of music over your conventional band. True, Kraftwerk is more passionate than Whitney Houston. But then again, what isn't? And I'm sorry, but there is no way "Kid A" and "Amesiac" are more passionate than "O.K. Computer". I wasn't just talking about Thom's vocals. I meant the overall production.
The point you're missing is that music taste is entirely subjective. You have your opinion, others have theirs.
Old 03-12-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Saw the video for Paranoid Android last weekend... it was the first Radiohead song I've heard since Creep. I thought PA was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Ever. Seriously, what a bore.
LOL -- how odd -- I think that Paranoid Android is one of their more challenging songs. It goes from one tempo to another, and from one sound to another. I would never have classified it as boring -- but to each his own.
Old 03-12-02, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper

The connection was just that most people who dislike the last two albums dislike electronic music. That's all. Obviously you don't fall into that category.

And they are all passionate albums. There's no doubt about it. I just feel like on Kid A and Amnesiac Radiohead aren't earnest about their emotions. The Bends might be the most earnest album I've ever heard and OK Computer isn't far behind. On Kid A and Amnesiac they conceal that, but, to me, it comes through stronger than on the other two discs.
Old 03-12-02, 05:49 PM

You can mark down my vote for The Bends as well. But I like OK Computer too. The documentary Meeting People Is Easy grows on me each time I watch it. It's worth a rent.
Old 03-12-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by monkey

The point you're missing is that music taste is entirely subjective. You have your opinion, others have theirs.
Thank you Monkey. I realize that. What I said *was* my opinion. Now do you have one? About any of their albums that is.
Old 03-12-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yancey

The connection was just that most people who dislike the last two albums dislike electronic music. That's all. Obviously you don't fall into that category.

And they are all passionate albums. There's no doubt about it. I just feel like on Kid A and Amnesiac Radiohead aren't earnest about their emotions. The Bends might be the most earnest album I've ever heard and OK Computer isn't far behind. On Kid A and Amnesiac they conceal that, but, to me, it comes through stronger than on the other two discs.
Because I love electronic music so much, I do think "Kid A" and "Amesiac" are slicker albums than their first three. And I've even used a track here and there from them on compilation CD's I've made for friends. That contains only electronic music. I just didn't think the albums worked as a whole. I think a few tracks would have made decent B-sides. I just didn't make a connection with the last two albums like I did the second and third. But I certainly gave it an effort. My friends begged me to give it a chance. I just couldn't get into them.
Old 03-12-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love OK Computer; Karma Police and Paranoid Android are my two favorite songs.

Even though I listen to a bit of Electronica, I didn't seem to enjoy Kid A/Amnesiac as much as the other two. This is not to say they are bad; there some great highlights on those two CDs as well (Everything In Its Right Place, Optimistic, Knives Out). Just be aware that their later albums have a more electronic and experimental feel to them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.