Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Training Day - My Short Review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-11-02, 09:17 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up Training day on dvd this past Friday at my favorite NYC B&M who always streets early. I watched it over the weekend. Here's my review of the dvd:

As expected, Warner went with the Snapper case.

The menus were very simple and straight forward.

Video: Widescreen anamorphic 2.35:1 looked great. No noticible artifacts.

The DD 5.1 audio (English & French) was good as well. A few of the action sequences made some good use of the surrounds. Subtitles available: English, Spanish and French.

As for the extras, the alternate ending was raw footage (video & audio) and wasn't all that different from the actual ending. After watching the alternate ending, it made sense that they decided not to use it. It really wasn't believable.

Some of the other extras were the behind the scenes documentary, theatrical trailers and 2 music videos. I really enjoyed the deleted scenes (Never-before-seen footage
) but my favorite part of the disc was the Director commentary. Antoine Fuqua's commentary was very insightful and down to earth. It didn't go into the technical aspects of making the film. Instead his commentary focused on describing the experiences on the set as it pertained to the community (streets of L.A.), the actor's performances during specific scenes, and the level of realism they were trying to achieve. Through out the commentary he gave some really insightful information about street life.

I never saw this film when it was in the theater. It is now one of my all time favorite films. I was very pleased that the dvd provided such a great 1st time viewing experience for me.

Rating 1-5

Movie: 5
Audio: 4
Video: 4
Extras: 4
Replay: 4
Old 03-11-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excelent!
Old 03-12-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be picking it up Next Week
Old 03-12-02, 02:13 PM

I'm looking forward to it as well.
Old 03-12-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been counting down the days since I seen it in the theater!! I can't wait!!!! 7 more!!
Old 03-13-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Training Day - My Short Review

Originally posted by dgc

As expected, Warner went with the Snapper case.

This is just sad. Putting a GREAT movie like this in a snapper just ain't right...
Old 03-14-02, 05:43 AM

changed my mind about renting it first.. guess ill be buying it now.
Old 03-19-02, 01:08 PM

Going out to buy it right now. Already watched a pre-release version a couple of times over the weekend. Awesome movie.
Old 03-19-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tbird2340
I've been counting down the days since I seen it in the theater!! I can't wait!!!! 7 more!!
The day is finally here!!! WOOO HOOOO!!! I can't wait to watch it after work! The crappy box though and that's very dissapointing!
Old 03-19-02, 09:55 PM
Banned

I love Denzel's performance. This is a good movie.
Old 03-19-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dunno if anybody notice this, but...

at the end of the credit, there's a 'DTS' sign.... sooo...

are they going to re-release the movie again with DTS track or they just forgot to put it??
Old 03-19-02, 10:44 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
i dunno if anybody notice this, but...

at the end of the credit, there's a 'DTS' sign.... sooo...

are they going to re-release the movie again with DTS track or they just forgot to put it??
DTS in a theater and DTS on a DVD are two significantly different things.

And Warner rarely does DTS. Or reissues for that matter. I'd be pretty surprised if they did so for this one.

dgc,

Nice review! Looking forward to watching this as I just picked it up from Costco today.

-David
Old 03-19-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Blade
DTS in a theater and DTS on a DVD are two significantly different things.

And Warner rarely does DTS. Or reissues for that matter. I'd be pretty surprised if they did so for this one.

dgc,

Nice review! Looking forward to watching this as I just picked it up from Costco today.

-David
dang
they could've just put DTS in the disc

that's why i hate company that rush everything up & left us no choice

oh well
Old 03-20-02, 02:51 AM

adding dts in isnt that hard is it?
Old 03-20-02, 03:23 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bluepenny
adding dts in isnt that hard is it?
Well, it's not that hard, but it does eat up a lot of space, and it is an extra cost. Also, given the very small number of DTS capable homes, there's not much incentive. And then Warner is just not really very DTS friendly.

-David
Old 03-20-02, 07:34 AM
Suspended

I picked this one up sight unseen, just because I heard from so many people saying how great the movie was, so I figured if I didn't like it I could give it to a friend or sell it easy... and I hafta say this was one damn fine movie. Denzel rocked as usual and Ethan Hawke I also thought gave a really great performance.

I agree also the DVD itself is pretty good, I liked the alternate ending but I can also see why it was cut, didn't watch the alternate scenes yet though

I don't like snapper cases but I won't hold that against a movie, cuz it ain't the filmmakers fault that WB is clueless
Old 03-20-02, 11:43 AM

Great video transfer. Decent 5.1 sound. Good movie. Walmart has it for 15.88!!! Or at least it rang up as that.
Old 03-20-02, 01:26 PM

Lookie here my niggaz I got sumpin ta show ya all. This is the biggest baddest show of all time and doan even think about axin me any questions. This is da bomb, King Kong ain't got nuthin on this show.

Actually this is a steamy pile O' shite. Incredibly poor script, and Scott Glenn talkin all jiggy and S**T was hilarious (Unintentional).

This movie is attempting to be all docudrama and realistic and then Ethan says "it's all about smiles and cries and they can't take that away from you." HUH.

This film has no suspense, it telegraphs everything or explains it to you. Just plain awful. Denzel is OK here but in no shape or form is this an academy award winning performance.

Rent this one my brothers, for if you pay for it you will pay for it.

Last edited by Smog; 03-20-02 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-20-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally posted by Smog
Lookie here my niggaz I got sumpin ta show ya all. This is the biggest baddest show of all time and doan even think about axin me any questions. This is da bomb, King Kong ain't got nuthin on this show.

Actually this is a steamy pile O' shite. Incredibly poor script, and Scott Glenn talkin all jiggy and **** was hilarious (Unintentional).

This movie is attempting to be all docudrama and realistic and then Ethan says "it's all about smiles and cries and they can't take that away from you." HUH.

This film has no suspense, it telegraphs everything or explains it to you. Just plain awful. Denzel is OK here but in no shape or form is this an academy award winning performance.

Rent this one my brothers, for if you pay for it you will pay for it.
Huh???

Could not disagree more. GREAT movie, and Denzel deserves the Oscar.
Old 03-21-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the dvd is nice and the movie is very watchable but i'm kinda glad that a hollywood coupon popped up in time for me to rent this, otherwise i would of brought it for 14.99, a decent price but an extra 14.99 that i wouldn't need to spend otherwise. it would just collect dust if i bought it. i just think the last half of the moving went too far and made it unrealistic and changed the premise set earlier.

Spoiler:

making denzel a bad/dirty cop rather then a tough hardlined cop
was a slight change but i think really changed the direction of the movie. the change was ok but i would of been more interested in seeing the other direction.

and a question:

Spoiler:

was ethan totally and completely set up? it says he was so he couldn't turn any of the cops in when they murdered that guy, but was ethan set up to be killed all along or only becuase he was a good boy scout and they/denzel felt he couldn't trust him?
ie, if he was cool with everything and took the money gladly would the end of the movie been different?

anyway it is definitely a good movie that should be seen. i just wouldn't give a blind recomendatation for people to own it.

Last edited by Venom; 03-21-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-21-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Had Ethan been down with the program Denzel wouldn't have tried to kill him.

My DVDTalk review is up here. I try to talk about a lot of different sides of the movie.
Old 03-23-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So those guys were just going
to kill Ethan because Denzel said so???
Old 03-23-02, 10:28 PM

i dunno how to do spoilers, but when ethan is playing cards notice the one guy gets a IM on his cell phone.
Old 03-25-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what are you saying? Denzel msged him and told them to?
Old 03-25-02, 08:46 AM
Cool New Member

Rent this one.
I bought it, and none of the people I've shown it to (incl. me) thought it was worth buying.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.