Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

REVIEW: Erich Rohmer's Tale of Springtime MGM DVD Screen Captures included...

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-11-02, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any Eric Rohmer fans out there, here is my review of the MGM DVD of his first of the
Tales of the Four Seasons: Tale of Springtime:

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS

Over all it was barebones with only 16 Chapter stops... but so much better image than all the Rohmer's on Fox Lorber DVDs (crap)...

It is non-anamorphic, but I think the screen captures indicate the level of clarity of the image...

Regards
Old 03-13-02, 11:27 AM
Banned

Due to the overwhelming response to this thread
I though I would share this quite from Mr. Rohmer regarding my question about him and music...:

"To put it bluntly, I have to admit that I do not like music. I try very hard to eliminate it from my life and from my films. It irritates me, it annoys me, it tires me, and despite the old saying, it neither improves my morals nor sweetens my temper. I find myself quite at ease in silence. It doesn't oppress me. For this silence, whether among the fields or in a distant street, offers a sound-picture that is "sui generis", revealing just as much about a place as how it smells. Music broadcast in public places is already damnable because it removes some of their personality. But at the same time that it injures its environment, it sins also against itself, in preventing us, by its imposed and superimposed presence, from listening to it as it deserves to be, that is, in a state of complete recollection. Music, for me, is only bearable if you listen to it with the maximum attention, both with mind and
body."
-- Preface to De Mozart en Beethoven
Old 03-15-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Due to the overwhelming response to this thread..."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

...you should take into account that M. Rohmer's films do not feature lots of (if any) shoot'em-ups, big explosions, spacecraft whooshing by (somehow - and rather inexplicably - creating deep - great for the subs! - rumbling noises in the near-vacuum of outer space), revolting slimy aliens, serial killers, martial arts heroes (or villains, as the case may be), or very obviously twenty-something actors trying to pass as horny teenagers... and such...

...that said, I own all four of his Contes on French DVDs, which also - and rather surprisingly for French releases! - feature non-anamorphic but acceptable letterbox transfers...

...which still leaves a slew of Rohmer movies that are not (yet?!) available on DVD...

...sigh...

. . . . . .