DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Joy Ride

Old 03-10-02, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews Wanted: Joy Ride

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?

Your thoughts?
Old 03-10-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...for instance...
(link removed -sfsdfd)

. . . . . .

Last edited by sfsdfd; 03-11-02 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-11-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of the best action-thrillers to come along in quite sometime. It is chock-full of bonus features including: numerous alternate endings and deleted scenes. One of the original endings, used for test audiences, is included and it runs over 30 minutes.

I was completely blown away by this film in the theatre and eagerly await its release tomorrow on DVD. This is definitely one to own.
Old 03-11-02, 11:48 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I wish I could display similar enthusiasm for Joy Ride. I will say the disc is packed with extras. Including a mess of endings, which in itself should give one pause. I'm leaning toward two stars, but won't decide for certain until I finish my review. Look for it Friday.
Old 03-11-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am stunned that you actually liked SOUL SURVIVIORS over
JOY RIDE. What gives?
Old 03-11-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

**Note: There's been a policy clarification since this warning was made. Please see below for more information. Thank you...-Blade)

Hendrik: Please don't simply provide a link to a review posted on another website. This would be OK if you also cut-and-pasted the review, so please do this in the future.

- David Stein
Old 03-11-02, 05:03 PM

30 mins of alt ending? thats alot longer than any other movie's alt ending. gotta add it to my collection just for that.
Old 03-12-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
"Joy Ride", definitely one of the year's best. And it's the most chilling movie since "Seven". Thumbs WAY up! Can't wait to get to Best Buy after work to get it.
Old 03-12-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just rented the movie. I heard it was good. Post a review tomorrow.
Old 03-13-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved Joy Ride.

This type of story has been done before, but I really enjoyed the twist and turns the movie took. It is like Psycho meets "Breakdown"(a Kurt Russel movie about his car breaking down in the west and a trucker kidnaps his wife).

Make sure you watch the Alt Endings.
Old 03-13-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Loved Joy Ride.

This type of story has been done before, but I really enjoyed the twist and turns the movie took. It is like Psycho meets "Breakdown"(a Kurt Russel movie about his car breaking down in the west and a trucker kidnaps his wife).

Make sure you watch the Alt Endings.

The alternate endings are really good. I hate when a disc says "alternate ending" and it's really the same ending with a few seconds of added footage.
Old 03-14-02, 02:04 AM

I suggest a rental. I was very excited about seeing this, but was Very dissapointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. (Why the extremely awkward "Romance" issue? In one scene, I kept I wondering when Malachai, from Children of the Corn would pop up)Zahn mentiones in a part of his commentary "This film would be rated PG, except we used the F-word like 76 times". I just did not find this scary or creepy. The intro borrows heavily from Se7en, which was cool..back in '95. The DVD itself is nice, the Picture/Sound are very good, plenty of extras, although the Menu should have been better - a Road Sign..

Last edited by Hulkaburger; 03-14-02 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-14-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This movie rocks!
Old 03-14-02, 11:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
This movie was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect and thought it would end up being another sub-par teen movie...not the case! John Dahl, one of my favorite director's (Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, The Last Seduction), puts lots of thrills in this movie. The DVD is great too! Be sure to listen to the Steve Zahn commentary track, it is hilarious!
Old 03-18-02, 02:15 PM

Another steaming pile of shite. More plot holes, cliches, telegraphed scenes per minute than should be allowed. This is a sloppy derivative mess and worst of all it is boring. No suspense, tension, scares whatsoever. The scene where the boys have to go into the diner is pitiful. I want my life back. I just love these shite storms where the studios tack on an ending for the sole purpose of keeping the franchise going. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!
Old 03-18-02, 06:05 PM

One word= Leelee
Old 03-19-02, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by dta316
One word= Leelee
Note:

Leelee is fully clothed for this movie, yet strangely we get the Hind side view of both Steve Zahn & Paul Walker??

Last edited by Hulkaburger; 03-19-02 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-19-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Hulkaburger

Note:

Leelee is fully clothed for this movie, yet strangely we get the Hind side view of both Steve Zahn & Paul Walker??
I believe this is why the movie fits into the horror genre.
Old 03-19-02, 01:40 AM
Uber Member

Please note that there has been some confusion about how we handle external links to reviews, and as such, some of the forum moderators have gotten together and put in plain English our position on external reviews.

You can read our clarification here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=186836

I post this here as it was a question about this thread, posted in the Feedback forum, that prompted this clarification.

Our apologies for any confusion this has caused, and we hope that our explanation makes things more clear.
Old 03-29-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It may be late in coming but I rented this from Ballbuster sight unseen and I totally loved it! I bought it yesterday to own. Great pic, good movie and nice sound too. The hotel room when they first set up rusty nail had great surround sound.

But what really sold me on this is the Leelee commentary. She sure knows how to keep it going. Even pointing out how her..."endowments" are showing thru her orange shirt. Gotta love it.
Old 04-01-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Hendrik: Please don't simply provide a link to a review posted on another website. This would be OK if you also cut-and-pasted the review, so please do this in the future.

- David Stein
I'm not sure what Hendrik posted, but what you're describing isn't in accordance with the new rules

Links to reviews on sites you aren't affiliated with:
Feel free to provide all the links to external reviews you want as long as you aren't affiliated with the site. Do not, however, cut and paste the entire review into our forum. These folks put a good bit of work into their reviews, they deserve the click throughs.

Posting a brief summary or explanation (ie. "these guys thought it was a good disc, with a funny commentary") is welcome and encouraged, however.
So, what do we do?? They don't deserve click-throughs? Or do they? We aren't supposed to just copy and paste? But you told us to... What's right and what's wrong here?
Old 04-01-02, 03:03 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Cornfed
So, what do we do?? They don't deserve click-throughs? Or do they? We aren't supposed to just copy and paste? But you told us to... What's right and what's wrong here?
Note the date on the warning and look up a couple posts.

I'll add a note to his comments to prevent future confusion as well.
Old 04-01-02, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by JaxComet

The alternate endings are really good. I hate when a disc says "alternate ending" and it's really the same ending with a few seconds of added footage.
I would agree with this opinion, I thought the different endings really gave a whole new spin on the movie.

Later
Old 04-05-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts
Did anyone feel this movie was effective until the diner scene? Once that scene occurred, I just could not enjoy the movie anymore. It ruined the rest of the movie for me. It was so silly & unbelieveable. Anyone else?
Old 04-06-02, 10:56 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by KC-Chris
I thought the different endings really gave a whole new spin on the movie.
I'd suggest that you and many others have been spun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.