Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for Region Free DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for a cheap region free DVD play. I currently use a PS2 (laugh if you want, i'm in college and poor!) for my dvd's and want to get some tv episode dvd sets from england (futurama, family guy) that are region 2. I heard that APEX players (like the $89 ones at wal-mart) are region free, at least when they came out last year. Are they still region free?? Also, to get the full Superbit experience do you need a more technically advanced player or will anyone work. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-09-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out www.vcdhelp.com, and look at their DVD player list --- you'll find ways to make many DVD players do what you wish.
Old 03-10-02, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe you'll find a region free player at a WalMart price. There are other issues such as PAL format output with a region 2 DVD. Visit http://www.codefreedvd.com to look at players done right not just iffy hacked units.
On the Superbit topic, yes a quality player is a must with a good transport system and a strong chipset to handle the increased data rate these discs deliver. That's just a start because you should have a progressive scan DVD player and a HDTV that can display the 480p signal. So unless you have the system that can take advantage of a Superbit DVD you may not see the difference over a normal DVD.
Greg