Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question for people who buy anime (and Ebay)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you see on Ebay all the import DVD's from Hong Kong and all that crap, I've always wondered, are these legit DVD's from those countries or are they just off the street bootlegs? It seems like all the anime you see on Ebay are these versions but the seller makes them pass as a legit release from a company and not bootlegs.

So, are these just low priced DVD's like the ones at HKFlix which all seem to be the same type of thing, or are these all bootlegs? I checked on HKFlix and some appear the same but many don't, and the prices look to be fantastic.

So, are these just bootlegs or what? If they are, just say so since I know DVDTalk doesn't condone it, but if these are legit DVD's, what can one expect in the from the video quality, sub quality and general Dvd release (extras, features, etc).

While on the question, assuming this does not get locked, where is the best place to get anime dvd's online? It sure ain't Amazon and the other stores all seem to have high prices and most canadian sites sell Manga dirt cheap (under 20$ Us, some even close to 50% less than Amazon with conversion), but everything else is either 35$ Cdn up to 55$ for Pioneer releases.
Old 03-09-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DVD's you see on Ebay from HK vary. Some are bootlegs, some are legit. If you suspect someone is selling bootleg copies check their other auctions. If they are selling a known bootleg of another DVD, then there's a good chance the one you want is also bootleg.

Checking the seller's feedback is also useful, as often times disgruntled buyers will say whether an item was bootleg or not, or if it actually worked. A bootleg from a 'reputable' seller generally works, a bootleg from an Ebayer may not. It seems dealers dump their misburns on Ebay.
Old 03-09-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost all the anime R0 DVDs you see on ebay are bootlegs. There is one legit anime R0 company that I know of and it is based in Singapore. They are called Odex and have made subbed Boys Be, Serial Experiments Lain and a couple other Pioneer titles.