DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Clerks Uncensored

Old 03-09-02, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clerks Uncensored

Just picked it up today and i am looking 4ward to watching it soon. I've never seen any of the episodes so everything will be relatively new for me. So please tell me what im in for. Are the episodes a hoot to watch. Being that its Uncnesored, is there some curses in there?, i cant imagine Jay, Dante and Randall not swearing, so what if its a cartoon. Anyway, id appreciate if some of you can drop me the 411 on this DVD, thanx!
Old 03-09-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
This series did suffer from being on one of the Big Three nets, so the cursing is at a minimum and the themes aren't as risque (like the "37" issue from the movie)

That said, these are enjoyable little sidestories to the Viewaskew universe and manage to make fun of a few topics you might not expect from a Disney owned network. Such as Randall's personality causing every he girl he's around to "bat for the other team", a brief parody of Schindler's List, a joke about the Challenger explosion that doesn't seem funny at first, but if you think about it, it makes sense.

Also the drug references with J&SB are severely cut down, and they're not exclusively drug dealers anymore, though they're still up to no good. One episode has them selling M-80's to kids and Dante says the kids could blow their hands off with them. Jay responds "Their hand? Shoot, these could take your whole arm off!"

I enjoy them a lot myself and have watched them several times.
Old 03-09-02, 05:58 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Episode #4 is the funniest. Watch and you shall see.
Old 03-09-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy all of them, except for the final one... which just seemed incomplete.

#4, 1, 5, 3, 2, 6 are the order I'd place them in from best to worst

The commentaries for all the episodes are pretty good though, with much bashing of AB..... err, "The Network"
Old 03-10-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That alternate ending for episode 4 is a Classic
Old 03-11-02, 09:22 AM

Re: Clerks Uncensored

Being that its Uncnesored, is there some curses in there?, i cant imagine Jay, Dante and Randall not swearing, so what if its a cartoon.
No swearing per se, though someone does use the deragatory term 'mo' once (short for ****). The Shindler's List/Flintstones parody was edited out of the broadcast episode, but is restored on the DVD. There were also a bunch of changes that the network wanted, but never were done because of cost reasons (and the network probably knew the show was doomed and that the offending episodes had a low chance of being broadcast).

As the short film "The Flying Car" which aired on Leno last week shows, it is quite possible to do a Dante & Randall piece without the profanity.

I'll add my voice to the consensus -- Episode 4 is one of the most humorous things I've ever seen -- my wife and I were rolling on the floor when we saw this on TV. This is the episode they aired first on ABC. I also really like Episode 2, which was the second and last one to air. I remember not liking it that much when I saw it on TV -- but that is because it's a parody of flashback episodes, and you need to have seen the first episode to understand the flashbacks.

Last edited by Stormbull; 03-11-02 at 09:29 AM.