Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can you play video games on rear projection TV's?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-02, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again am looking at buying either the Toshiba 42H81 HDTV, or the SonyKP43HT20 HDTV rear projection TV's. They both seem like good TV's in this price range but have heard that with the projection TV's there is the problem of burning the image on the screen. I have heard of this before but didn't know with the technological advances the the TV industry that this was still a problem. Anyway, my son and I play PS2 all the time, so if this is indeed a serious problem than I may just have to go with a WEGA 36' TV. I just wanted to get the bigger picture for the money. But like I said, if these TV's really aren't video game friendly than I must cross them off my list. What can you guys tell me about this?
Old 03-08-02, 10:54 PM
Banned

I played my PS2 on a Mits 55" for 4 months last year, and I didn't see any damage. I did see a warning in the FFX booklet which said to read the manufactures book before playing the game because it could cause irrepairable damage. I would suggest looking at the manuals and see what they say about playing video games on them.
Old 03-08-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-08-02, 11:26 PM
Banned

Dude, that is beautiful...
Old 03-08-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about games but my wife burnt the Court TV logo into our rear projection TV during the OJ trial. I bitched to Court TV and they sent me a hat and a t-shirt...
Old 03-09-02, 12:11 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just be responsible, If you are going to be a marathon gamer where the status bars stay on the screen for hours a day then yes you will get burn in. But if you play occasionally and keep the brightness at a reasonable level you should have no problem. Just remember never let the game be paused on the TV while you go to dinner or out for the evening.
Old 03-09-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Goblincat

Adventure!! Dude do you remember the easter egg in that game? It show who was the designer and I believe it was the first easter egg in any atair game.

The Empire Strikes Back. Another Kick A$$ game. Never knew the 2600 looked that good on a RPTV.
Old 03-09-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you keep both the contrast and brightness levels turned down and don't leave static images on the screen for a long time then there won't be a problem. Note though that most TVs out of the box are set in "torch" mode from the factory. This meaning that the contrast is set way too high. Turn the contrast down and once you get used to it you will have a better picture with more resolution.

Whenever people with new sets have them adjusted by a professional adjuster (ISF) the screen seems dim by comparison but quickly you'll notice how the colors are much better and the resolution is better due to the set not "blooming" on high contrast scenes.

jr