Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

FREE Super Saver Shipping At Amazon: Trackable?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

FREE Super Saver Shipping At Amazon: Trackable?

Old 03-08-02, 12:58 PM
M16
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FREE Super Saver Shipping

I want to ask if the free shipping on amazon when you buy from them by 100$ or more has a tracking # or not??

Can I track my shipment?? that's what I mean,,

Thanx,,
Old 03-09-02, 01:34 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since you are buying over $100 worth of stuff, Amazon will likely be shipping UPS Ground, which is trackable.

However, there is no guarantee on the method of shipment when you select "Ground Shipping". Amazon can ship whatever way they like.
Old 03-09-02, 06:30 AM

I don't think they'll be using UPS Ground. I think I read somewhere that they were using SmartMail which is not trackable. There was also a thread in the Bargains forum about this.

If they'd use UPS, why would the Free Shipping be slower than regular Standard Shipping? Ground is already the slowest UPS shipping option available, and they use it with Standard Shipping for almost every order. Only single DVD shipments are going USPS First Class.
Old 03-09-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered multiple times with the $99 free shipping and they've used UPS, USPS Priority, and USPS SmartMail. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 03-09-02, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by cubanx
I've ordered multiple times with the $99 free shipping and they've used UPS, USPS Priority, and USPS SmartMail. Never had a problem with any of them.
Thanks for the info. Do you remember what kind of orders (e.g. above a certain value, certain products etc.) were shipped UPS?

I can't imagine they'd risk a 500 buck DVD player shipment using SmartMail.
Old 03-09-02, 03:30 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Mike Myers

Thanks for the info. Do you remember what kind of orders (e.g. above a certain value, certain products etc.) were shipped UPS?

I can't imagine they'd risk a 500 buck DVD player shipment using SmartMail.
They shipped my DVD player via UPS Ground, and it was no where near $500. One thing though, it took about 5 days before it even shipped. It was listed as 24 hours, so I don't know if was related to the Super Saver Shipping or the if the 24 hours was misprint. Never can be too sure with Amazon.
The only other item I've ordered from them lately was 2 video games and they were shipped USPS priority.
Old 03-10-02, 12:00 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a 5 DVD order ship and they gave me a USPS tracking #. I hope to get it by the end of next week.
Old 03-10-02, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Mike Myers
All kitchen, hardware and electronic items I've ordered taking advantage of Super Saver shipping have all come by UPS Ground so far.

Pac-Rat: the delay was in fact due to the Super Saver shipping. You'll notice that when you select Super Saver shipping the ship date is delayed about 5 days.
Old 03-10-02, 01:19 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrN
I just had a 5 DVD order ship and they gave me a USPS tracking #. I hope to get it by the end of next week.
Only Prority Mail or Media Mail can have a USPS tracking #.
Old 03-10-02, 07:07 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by tenjin

Pac-Rat: the delay was in fact due to the Super Saver shipping. You'll notice that when you select Super Saver shipping the ship date is delayed about 5 days.
I took it to mean that it would take ups/usps longer to get it here. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 03-10-02, 08:22 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by eau

Only Prority Mail or Media Mail can have a USPS tracking #.

They must have shipped Media Mail - based on the amount they charge and discount to give you free shipping.
Old 03-26-02, 11:36 AM

I called Amazon today to ask why my preorder for TNG Season 1 is not due to ship until April 1... A full week after the release date.

Here is the Amazon policy that applies only to the Super Saver Shipping option.
Please note: When you select Super Saver Shipping, your order may take an additional 3-5 days to arrive.

Well this was clarified by a CSR to mean that they may not even ship the order and not that they just use a slower shipping method.
So in Amazon-English "arrive" could be replaced with "ship."

Just a warning to all those who have misread the policy... There's always a catch. This is my first time using this free shipping so hopefully the end result is still a reasonable delivery time frame.
Old 03-26-02, 12:31 PM

Well I just received a 6 disc package from them last thrusday, and it got a shipping notice last tuesday, so it only took 2 days to get to my house, and it was through USPS, and I got a tracking #, but I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. USPS tracking #s are more suggestions than anything else. UPS and FedEx are still best for them.
Old 03-26-02, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Space_Monkey
I called Amazon today to ask why my preorder for TNG Season 1 is not due to ship until April 1... A full week after the release date.

Here is the Amazon policy that applies only to the Super Saver Shipping option.
Please note: When you select Super Saver Shipping, your order may take an additional 3-5 days to arrive.

Well this was clarified by a CSR to mean that they may not even ship the order and not that they just use a slower shipping method.
So in Amazon-English "arrive" could be replaced with "ship."

Just a warning to all those who have misread the policy... There's always a catch. This is my first time using this free shipping so hopefully the end result is still a reasonable delivery time frame.
I noticed this too and was debating if it was even worth the free shipping but today my ST:TNG S1 shipping status turned into shipping soon. So I have some hope on this being shipped within a reasonable time frame. On the other hand, my second order contained 5 items with the latest release date being 3/19 and it just shipped via UPS Ground yesterday (3/25) even though they emailed me yesterday to say it was going to be a further delay since 3 of the items were out of stock. This wouldn't happen it they would just ship them on time. It appears these are the last orders sent out when free time permits.

Amazon should correct it to say it will take an additional 3-5 days to SHIP since they are using the same shipping methods. They're just waiting longer to actually get the orders out the door.

Last edited by rdodolak; 03-26-02 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-26-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally posted by rdodolak

Amazon should correct it to say it will take an additional 3-5 days to SHIP since they are using the same shipping methods. They're just waiting longer to actually get the orders out the door.
I've noticed this as well. I've been placing a lot of orders through Amazon now -- mostly for books, since all books are now 20-30% off, which combined with free shipping is quite a deal.

My orders take anywhere from five to twelve days to ship once I place the order, even when everything says it ships within 24 hours. Not sure why -- are they shuffling things between shipping centers/warehouses?
Old 03-29-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I had about 4 DVD package ship from Amazon using the Super Saver option. It went out Tuesday using UPS Ground from Reno, and arrived Wednesday at my workplace in Sacramento.

In most cases, my shipments for Amazon come out of Fernley, NV, which is close to Reno.
Old 03-30-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And, I've just received notice that another order went out via USPS with a trackable number, again from Fernley, NV. It should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 03-30-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just received a shipping notice of an order of books and DVDs from Amazon using the free shipping. They shipped the order by UPS Ground and it does have a tracking number. They estimate delivery on April 2, which is the release date of one of the DVDs. I can't complain about that since most orders with DVDs arrive a day or two after release with their regular shipping.