Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone excited about PS2 Sled Storm 2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-02, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone excited about PS2 Sled Storm 2?

Looks like it's coming out next week and the previews I've seen look pretty good. I grew up in Wisconsin and used to snowmobile all the time. Can't do much of that here in Los Angeles. Looks like PS2 might be the closest I can get to it this winter.
Old 03-07-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really want this game even though it's a Big game now and won't be realistic still looks cool.
Old 03-07-02, 09:16 PM

I am _really_ looking forward to this game.. Ever since they announced it a year ago as Sled Storm 2, I have had high expectations and hopes.. Now that it's a BIG title I'm not as sure what to expect, except that SSX, SSX Tricky and NBA Street have all been fantastic titles!

--Craig
Old 03-12-02, 10:21 PM

Looks like IGN gave it an 8.5. Not too bad but I thought it'd be better. Does anyone have any details on the review? I'm not an insider so I can only see the score.
Old 03-12-02, 10:47 PM

Based on the actual review, I am 100% back to being excited and really, really looking forward to picking this game up this week. Many reviews lately have only been so-so, but those were in print mags and they have a lead time that might not account for last minute (and all important tuning).

Anyway, the gist of the review is that the game gets an 8.5 becuase while very well done, it isn't the great revolution that SSX was (duh!). They say it plays like a racing game with SSX mixed in.. The tricks are important but that the focus is on racing and it's a great arcade racer. You can do 1 trick per jump or so, not the huge trick combos from SSX.

The tracks are huge and feature tons of shortcuts, some very well hidden.. The up and down hills adds alot, and the feeling of just barely being in control works really well.. AI is tough, but not to the point that it cheats. The soundtrack (music) is not as good as SSX but the other sounds and production values are. So if you liked SSX and it's personality/voices etc. this is just as good.

Bottom line, it's one of the best arcade racers on PS2, and holds a nice balance between the PSX1 Sled Storm and SSX.

That was all my paraphrased IGN review. Personally, I never played Sled Storm and love SSX, so I think I will love this game.
Old 03-12-02, 11:04 PM

But is there mention of 1080i support in the IGN review? That's the important part. Hehehe.
Old 03-12-02, 11:09 PM

>But is there mention of 1080i support in the IGN review? That's the important part.<

Nope, no word. They do mention DTS 5.1 though.
Old 03-13-02, 02:00 AM

thanks rcl66 for the summary.....looks like i'll be picking this one up after all...hopefully bestbuy will get it in soon since i have a gift card to kill
Old 03-14-02, 06:44 PM

Ouch...7.6 on Gamespot.....that rubber-band AI sounds pretty ridiculous....i think i may pass now....
Old 03-14-02, 11:46 PM

Every day I have less and less confidence in IGN's reviews. They were totally wrong on this one also.

My worst fears came true. Ea's desire to make this SSX on Snowmobiles and give it the EA BIG attitude and trick system has resulted in a so-so to bad game! This game had huge potential and I think as a straigh forward arcade racer with huge jumps and cool tracks and shortcuts, it would have been awesome. Instead if feels like a game they tried to force into the EA BIG/SSX mold but didn't finish the job. My main issues:

The trick system doesn't fit. You are constantly trying to do tricks to build your boost (storm) meter, but there are only a few places to do big tricks. The rest of the time you think you have enough time to do a trick but end up crashing instead, and that results in a long (3-4 second) delay while the game puts you back on the track and your players starts the sled again (like a motorcycle, kick starting it).

The BIG attitude is not done right. The commentary is stupid and sorta half finished (some guy who thinks he is mr stud is one of the commentators, but it didn't work for me). The course previews where they show you the cool parts of the track don't really show much and are really short.

The tracks suck! They tried to pack to many track side objects in and to many shortcuts and it becomes overkill. Add the fact that flying off the course usually results in a reset back to the center of the track or hitting and object (and a reset) and it just isn't fun.. By the 4th track I was constantly hitting things because I couldn't tell where to go due to over done tracks. Add in the snow being kicked up by the sleds in front of you and the tracks going up hill and sometimes you have no clue which way is up.

The AI and the other sleds bumping into you.

So this game (for me) goes down as the most dissapointing title in quite some time. I hope EA can take the BIG series and make some titles that don't mimic SSX 100%, but instead keep alot of the cool things and then grow their own personality (like NBA Street).

Rent before you buy for sure!
Old 03-14-02, 11:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Do you guys feel deceived on that 1080i thing?
Old 03-15-02, 02:08 AM

listen EA...i just hope you don't screw NCAA Football 2003 up