Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Say Anything - who got it, how's the DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Mine is on the way but I'm just wondering how this DVD looks to anyone else who's getting it. It sounds loaded!
Old 03-05-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome disk! Got mine yesterday, and am very happy with the picture and sound quality, but I couldn't wait to check out the deleted /extended scenes. The extended scenes were interesting and it's cool how the added bits are shown in color while the final cut reverts to black and white to differentiate. Nice. Lots of different takes on the boombox holding-up scene (what was that horrible song that was playing from it while filming??) and it was nice to see John Mahoney's scenes fleshed out more. Can't wait to check out the commentary! I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-05-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Well I've had a chance to look mine over now - it actually came ON the street date from amazon! Definitely a fantastic disc at a cheap price; this may not be the finest movie in the history of the world but it's certainly near and dear to mine and many other people's film memories, and Cameron Crowe rewards us mightily for our affection. A slew of extended/deleted/alternate scenes, only half of which I've checked out so far but they're all enjoyable. I really dig the "still commentary" that precedes the main feature where Cameron, Cusack and Skye talk about how the movie came to be - kind of like a documentary without visuals. The main commentary by the feature is also excellent, if you dug "Almost Famous: Untitled" then you'll like this. Informative and easy to listen to. Haven't checked out all the extras yet but at a MSRP of $20 this is one of the year's best DVD bargains, I'm so glad they didn't bloat it out into an uneccesary two disc set like too many other folks are doing...

PS
*gasp* Horrible song, matome? I think you refer to "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, one of my fave songs ever. Horrible? Man, that cuts deep. Ah well, different strokes...
Old 03-06-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a different song playing in the actual footage he's talking about. I forget what it is, but "In Your Eyes" was definitely added in post-production; it was not playing while the scene was actually filmed.
Old 03-06-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question for you guys. I'm into romantic comedies and such but I've never seen this one. Do you think it's safe for a blind purchase? I rely on people's opinions around here. Bought Tombstone Vista Series based on it.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-02, 08:32 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Great disc indeed and can't beat the price.
Old 03-06-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I was definitely NOT referring to Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes (I love that song too!), but to the song that was actually playing from the boom box during the filming.
Old 03-06-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Question for you guys. I'm into romantic comedies and such but I've never seen this one. Do you think it's safe for a blind purchase? I rely on people's opinions around here. Bought Tombstone Vista Series based on it.

Thanks!
This is one of the best and true romance films ever. You cannot go wrong with this one.
Old 03-06-02, 05:34 PM

Yes, I was definitely NOT referring to Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes (I love that song too!), but to the song that was actually playing from the boom box during the filming.
Two songs were used. For the shots of Ione Skye, they featured Elvis Costello's "Tokyo Storm Warning" (from 1986's Blood and Chocolate). For the Cusack shots, they utilized a Fishbone tune; I don't know its name...
Old 03-06-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Say Anything is probably the best teen movie of the 80's. I liked a lot of John Hughes' movies but Say Anything really topped all of those movies because it had deeper characters.

Another 80's teen movie I liked was Some Kind Of Wonderful. (trivia: Eric Stoltz was in both Say Anything and Some Kind Of Wonderful.) But I think Say Anything is still better. Same concept though.
Old 03-12-02, 07:58 PM
Cool New Member

This is a fantastic disc. The film itself is one of the all-time greats (and it certainly transcends the "teen movie" genre), and the extras are just killer. Great commentary track, and the extended/deleted/alternate scenes are nicely assembled. I've been waiting for this DVD for a long time, and it was a most satisfying effort.

Definitely worth a blind purchase.
Old 03-13-02, 03:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Kal Jedi

Thanks!
I agree with everyone - it is a great film. This movie holds dear to me for many reasons. I graduated high school the same year and as with many teenagers, I was having conflicts w/ my girlfriend's parents. The sure fire test before buying is to rent the movie first. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I got it, and I love this dvd. waited long for this movie. had two VHS tapes since I saw it that much. its one great movie and great dvd!
Old 03-15-02, 10:41 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Listened to most of the commentary this evening. It was quite funny and entertaining.
Old 03-16-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One word: Great!
Old 03-19-02, 10:00 PM
Banned

Along with Before Sunrise, it's one of my favorite romantic movies. I wonder why we haven't seen more of Ione Skye because she was particularly wonderful in this movie.
Old 03-21-02, 02:25 PM

I purchased the DVD a couple of days ago, and it just flat out kicks a**! All the actors are awesome, but the clincher was a girl at my high school around the same time of the movie release who was a dead ringer to Ione Skye (but had dark brunette hair, drop dead gorgeus)! Anyway, my only gripe with it is in the trailer section. Trailer A has no audio! Trailer B is fine, however. I went to Wal-Mart (only$14.44!) to get a replacement copy. It contained the same bug! Anyone else having that problem?