Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

X-Ecutioners

Old 03-04-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X-Ecutioners

i recently started listening to these guys and really like their sound. i'm not too familiar with hip hop/scratching stuff, can anyone recommend some stuff in a similar vein?
Old 03-05-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, can't really help ya, but I know a lot of the old school rap (circa 1985ish) was loaded with scratching DJs.

What album did you get? I've been looking to purchase one of the X albums, but I don't even know if they have more than one. Hahahaha. I'm so out of the loop.
Old 03-05-02, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've seen the X-Men (their former name) live twice and they blew me away both times. They are simply amazing. If you have a chance, go see them - although one of the guys quit a while back.

Check out Q-Bert or Mixmaster Mike (or any of the Invisbl Scratch Pikuls). Their CDs, "Wave Twisters" and "Anti-Theft Device" (respectively) aren't bad. DJ Faust is pretty good, too.

If you want an animated audio-visual treat, get Q-Bert's "Wave Twisters" DVD - it's really trippy. I think you can only get it through his website. I got an autographed copy from there for about $25 or so. I'm still waiting for the "Scratch" documentary to come out.

I dunno, I really like the scratching and mixing, especially live, but sometimes the music doesn't translate as well on disc.
Old 03-05-02, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Sorry, can't really help ya, but I know a lot of the old school rap (circa 1985ish) was loaded with scratching DJs.

What album did you get? I've been looking to purchase one of the X albums, but I don't even know if they have more than one. Hahahaha. I'm so out of the loop.
i haven't even bought their album yet. i downloaded a few songs off of Built from Scratch. that was the only album CD Now had listed. i liked what i heard though. from what i read, this is their second album. i would imagine most of what they do is just playing in clubs and mixing songs for other artists.
Old 03-05-02, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
I've seen the X-Men (their former name) live twice and they blew me away both times. They are simply amazing. If you have a chance, go see them - although one of the guys quit a while back.

Check out Q-Bert or Mixmaster Mike (or any of the Invisbl Scratch Pikuls). Their CDs, "Wave Twisters" and "Anti-Theft Device" (respectively) aren't bad. DJ Faust is pretty good, too.

I dunno, I really like the scratching and mixing, especially live, but sometimes the music doesn't translate as well on disc.
i've checked out Q-Bert and MMM. also DJ Faust. ok stuff. DJ Shadow is pretty decent from what i've heard. that's the kind of stuff i'm looking for. like you said, some of these guys probably sound great live, but super heavy scratching on a cd doesn't translate very well for me. MMM tears it up, but X-Ecutioners and DJ Shadow seem to incorporate it better in some good hip hop beats.
Old 03-06-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bought the X album last night. It pretty much blew me away. The tracks are a complete mix between old school sounding jams and new rock/rap mixes.

I hope to find more of their stuff online somewhere.
Old 03-07-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Invisibl Skratch Piklz your search should stop and end there. As was mentioned. You can find all kinds of old demo stuff ( I have a Qbert Atrak tape that kills any of the DMC stuff)

Also look for some Roc Riada solo stuff.

And if you can find Kid Koala's demo its a weird name (I'll post it if I find it) but it has the track "I wanna rock"

Last edited by RaptorsFan; 03-07-02 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
I'm still waiting for the "Scratch" documentary to come out.
That's a tight film, caught it last week. It's a good well-rounded primer on hip-hop DJs and also gives recognition to the old-school. It's also got great performances including the Invisibl Skratch Piklz and X-ecutioners, as well as some footage of DXT scratching at the Grammys in 1984 on Hancock's "Rockit."

Last edited by sundog; 03-07-02 at 11:42 AM.