Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: A Fish Called Wanda

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-02-02, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 03-03-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...alledwanda.htm

Here's a review at dvdfile.

The movie itself is fantastic if you like slapstick comedy. I haven't picked it up yet because I think I remember some negative comments from others about the quality of the disc. It is barebones, non-anamorphic. But, heck, it's cheap, so it might be word a look just for the movie. Not sure if there is something better in the works.
Old 03-03-02, 12:59 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been awhile since I've watched my copy, but that DVDFile review sounds about right on the disc quality.

The movie itself is kind of like British humor toned down for an American audience.

It's a story about a jewel heist carried out by 4 crooks. After the job is done, they'd planned to lay low for a while before going to get the jewels from their hiding place, but it turns into a "no honor among thieves" type of story. (This is only the tip of the iceberg for plot description, but it is the basic theme of the movie.)

This is one of my favorite performances by Kevin Kline. Way over the top, but so earnestly and well done.

If you like slightly quirky comedies, I think this is a must rent at the least. If they ever rerelease it with an anamorphic transfer, I'll have no problem paying for another DVD.

-David
Old 03-05-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
While I love this movie, I've seen it so many times that I'm just holding out for the inevitable SE... the current disc is weak as heck on the extras.
Old 03-05-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
While I love this movie, I've seen it so many times that I'm just holding out for the inevitable SE... the current disc is weak as heck on the extras.
I agree!
Old 03-05-02, 11:05 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there an SE of this coming out? I don't recall hearing of one.

While this is a great little film, I wouldn't expect to see a rerelease anytime soon. It's less than $10 at DeepDiscountDVD. I say why wait?